Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetically wheelchair vs exoskeleton

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Hypothetically wheelchair vs exoskeleton

Hypothetically, cause it's not quite there yet, but it seems like it's just around the corner.

And in this fantasy world, the batteries and everything are reliable enough.

So if next time you went for your wheelchair fitting for your new chair THEY offered you the option of having an exoskeleton instead of a new chair would you go for it?

Yes it won't cure your bladder bowel or pain, you'll just walk instead of wheel.

I would jump(well bounce up and down at least) at the chance, if you wouldn't why not?

cyberdyne
    Cyberdyne Article

Argo Rewalk

Berkeley Bionics ekso

Rex Bionics

Raytheon Sarcos XOS 2

And one more .. http://www.cadencebiomedical.com/

Not until my bladder and bowel are fixed.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm a c7 complete and can't really imagine that an exo-skeleton would add any extra functionality to my life. In fact, it would probably cause a ton of other problems.

I'll stick with a chair until the exoskeletons work about 75% as good as my old body then I'll consider it. I'm guessing that'll be in about 5 years.

I'd love to try out a jet pack though!
    Last edited by Patton57; 10-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    And one more .. http://www.cadencebiomedical.com/

Not until my bladder and bowel are fixed.
    Wouldn't really call that an exoskeleton, more an orthosis.

No better than my RGO's.

No, I wouldn’t. I’m sure it would be fun to have some kind of mecha suit to knock around in from time to time, but as a replacement for a wheelchair? No thanks. I have no desire to be some kind of cyborg/robot. A wheelchair is mechanical enough for me.

My son who is a computer science major? Well that’s a different story. He recently told me that he would love to have his consciousness placed inside a robotic device. He likes the idea. I guess it may be a generational thing. Someday there may be a whole population of mechanical human beings living indefinite lifespans.

Wow! Now that sets up some interesting moral, social, and religious conundrums for future generations to ponder.

Dam right I would. Just think how cool it would be to have kids running up to the Robotman, instead of their folks pulling them away, like I have the plague. No more handicap parking spaces that are always full. No more wandering around looking for the ramp. No more having to be dragged up steps by my druinken friends. I could go work in the woods again. I could work on the car and trucks, without every move being a project, just to get close enough. Maybe even back to jumping.

I have never understood the fascination with walking if you have to use crutches. I can walk a little before I tumble but it is laborious and painful and I loose the use of my hands (with crutches). I guess I just don't get it.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

So if next time you went for your wheelchair fitting for your new chair THEY offered you the option of having an exoskeleton instead of a new chair would you go for it?

No, it seems to me that using a chair would be easier to get around and more functional. Having to stand for hours at a time would not be good for my bones.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~