Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equipment for winter weather? Snowy slopes :(

Question Equipment for winter weather? Snowy slopes :(

Anyone here know of equipment or techniques that help you manage winter weather? Esp. snow and ice?

In a nutshell, this winter, it looks like I'm going to have to navigate long, moderately steep slopes with snow or ice on them.
    The worst slope (leading to my flat) has a brick building at the bottom that if I loose control, I will crash into

I like a bit of risk, but that's too much!

I would look into a FreeWheel, but that's just me.

Ugly winter conditions have proven to be much easier with a FreeWheel.

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    I would look into a FreeWheel, but that's just me.

Ugly winter conditions have proven to be much easier with a FreeWheel.
    That was my first thought too. I am hoping to get one before the flakes start to fall.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Custom quick release ski caster attachments with Teflon bottoms and some skinny knobby tires would be nice.

I also hope the freewheel works on snow and ice. The knobby tires are not working because when they put salt in the snow it makes the snow like glue in the knobs so the snow sits in the knobs and the wheel is only going around and around.

The best thing for me is a Permobil 750X, but since it is not working on stairs it is impossible to go inside in the shops and it is big and ugly.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Custom quick release ski caster attachments with Teflon bottoms and some skinny knobby tires would be nice.
    Yes! YES YES YES! Now all I need is the spare energy to go and find some design students who are willing to try and build me something like that!

All I came up with on my own, was....thinking I would have to find a small childrens plastic sled. And then transfer to it when going down the hill.
    Didn't even know what I would do with my chair though :/ If I pulled it behind me on a rope, it would prob come crashing into me at the bottom.

As for getting -up- the slope, that's even harder. Although, if they made tyres with ice spikes in them in wheelchair sizes that'd be helpful.
    I couldn't find them in 24 or 25'' size though :/

Re- Freewheel.
    Thanks for reminder folks I've seen it around in online shops but never thought to buy it, because most of the time I don't have enough spare energy to get to my nearest park :/

Thanks also for the warning - that it might not work in some snow/ice conditions.

Ramble about choosing to start using a chair again:

Sigh...I should never have accepted this flat at the bottom of a slope in the first place. But at the time I was managing without a wheelchair. (My injury is atypical. Docs never gave me enough info about it either :/)

Then I got worse, and the price I was paying for not using a wheelchair was becoming ridiculously high.

So I returned to using a manual chair. Glad I did because all of the physical benefits I got from using a chair before have returned this time too. And I've been able to start reducing my morphine dose too instead of constantly having to beg for an increase
    I admit I have (once again) struggled with people being negative and babying me though. Im -more- able in a wheelchair than out of one, so I don't need babying!

But.... The slippery slopes issue is going to be a challenge, that's for sure!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    using good/smooth strokes with good form when pushing will help more than anything. Tread doesn't really seem to help going in snow any better than using Right Runs. Aa effective push is what really counts. However, the knobby does seem to help a little in stopping when going downhill since they will collect a little snow pile in them and give a little resistance to slippery surfaces, but any tire will have get full of snow, so control on a slippery downhill can still be challenging at times.
    The freewheel will make it easier to go through the snow, but will do nothing for controlling speed going downhill.
    those caster skis are nothing new, many have offered those and they never catch on. I don't see that they do anything but plant in the snow and it's just as bad as your caster being stuck in a pile of snow.

Check out this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=144542 Plus remember the slippery slope is a logical fallacy so when you are sliding down the hill it isn't really happening (there is your Zen statement of the day young Buddhist)

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    The knobby tires are not working because when they put salt in the snow it makes the snow like glue in the knobs so the snow sits in the knobs and the wheel is only going around and around.
    What size knobbies are you using? I have a set of Specialized and it's like night and day compared to my Rightruns in snow and ice.