Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with getting a suitable NHS wheelchair

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_on_wheels View Post
    Yes it does :/ I get the impression that having an atypical injury and complex health problems makes wheelchair clinic less inclined to invest in me.
    Same here

Re-checking out wheelchair first. I dont know quite what you're talking about. What useful info can you get from a serial no. before buying a 2nd hand chair?
    If you have the transport(which I don't due to multiple disabilities and my wanting to be indepent of carers) view the chair and have a test run.

What the chair was sold as(so what upgrades have been done) the invacare site also gave me the DMEs name and number so I can get the service history off the DME thats been doing the work on the chair.

Sorry been away from Curecare for a view days

Re- Burgerman's Site

Quote Originally Posted by ex-Gooserider View Post
    Check out WheelChairDriver.com - it is a UK based site, and "Burgerman" the site owner has had much experience dealing with the NHS and WCS types - HE WON!

He is the first participant in a pilot program that will supposedly be rolled out to all in a few years where instead of buying you a chair, or giving you a voucher that is only good at a few (overpriced) DME dealers, they give him a lump of cash every three years to spend on his mobility needs. He just has to keep records to prove that he spent the money on mobility and not beer...

The site is excellent in other ways, especially for those in power chairs. Lots of very technically skilled users, with tons of experience hacking them to make them work properly... Burgerman actually builds his own chairs (in his bedroom) that IMHO are far superior to ANYTHING the industry sells...

ex-Gooserider
    Thanks ex-Gooserider I've checked out Burgerman's Wheelchair Driver site before and agree it's excellent. He's obviously a very gifted, hard working and determined man.
    But, I didn't spot the part about his victory with the NHS, nor the park about pilot project.

Thank you very much for sharing the info here. I will go back and take another look, maybe email him too.

Re-his instructions for modding powerchairs. He's a diamond geezer imho for sharing his knowledge.

Unfortunately I can't afford the powerchair I need for bad days/trips further afield. NHS will only supply me with one if/when I need it both outdoors always, and indoors.

Also, I am currently too ill to learn how to fix and mod electronic equipment. Complete noob in that area.
    Dunno how I would fund it too on top of manual chair repairs/mods.

My only gripe about Burgerman's site is that in parts, he suggests that if you dont mod your own powerchair, you're just a lazy so and so.
    We're not all well enough to do stuff like that on top of caring for ourselves.

Angry

My only gripe about Burgerman's site is that in parts, he suggests that if you dont mod your own powerchair, you're just a lazy so and so.
    We're not all well enough to do stuff like that on top of caring for ourselves.
    There are powerchair users who can't modify(no matter how much we want to) OUR OWN CHAIRS(due to lack of hand function) I hate when people make those kind of statement

Having at least some abilities and having done at least minor mods on every single chair I've owned, I fall somewhat into Burgerman's class of doing it myself, however he doesn't seem to think that one has to actually do all the work oneself... If you read his stuff in detail, he gets a lot of work done by others - either carer's (he has some interesting approaches to recruiting them as well) or by other outsiders in exchange for "beer tokens" or other consideration....

It doesn't seem totally impossible to me that even if somebody can't do the actual work themselves, whether from lack of knowledge / skills, or the nature of their disability, it should be possible to find someone that can - even if it's just a case of pointing at the website and saying "make me one of those"

The other thing that is important to note about the site and the information he gives out is that it is what HE finds best for his own needs... He very much emphasizes that what he builds would not work for many people, and that while his ideas are a good starting point, they very much need to be tailored to the individual user. His opinion is that if the user isn't very much involved in the modification process, regardless of who actually spins the wrenches, the result will be less than ideal.

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.