Thread: Returns?

Returns?

I keep hearing that you are not likely to regain functions or sensations after two years. Yet, I have met a lot of people who have experienced return of sensations or regained motor skills up to 15 years after their injury. Is anyone documenting this? I would really like to hear of people who have continued to recover after the two year "moratorium".

gretchen 1

Gretchen,

I've had return of function at 4 years post. I exercise using weight supported ambulation training. I now have almost full sensation on my left calf. Both triceps are stronger and can feel hot and cold.

I am a C5/C6 INC. QUAD.

Deb

PS Forgot to mention the most important improvement - ABS - uppper and lower getting very strong.

roughly 4yrs post (I think), I regained voluntary control of my upper abs.

I have an incomplete C6 injury as of Jan.'99.

Gretchen, it's not uncommon for people to experience recovery for many years beyond the 2 year mark.Take a look at the following 2 topics posted in this thread.

Do people who were ASIA A, B, C at 24 hours after injury recover function 3 or more years after injury?

Did you recover some function more than 1 year after injury?

Thank you so much! A doctor recently told me given the nature of my injury and the two year mark, I would never recover my sensations, nor my functions.. I had a dorsal avm on T 10 almost two years ago. I wanted to take part in the clinical study on HP184 as researchers had told me it might help greatly improve my condition, but they are targeted patients with incomplete traumatic injuries. Dr Young explained that I suppose the damage with vascular injuries was ischemic rather than axonal and that neurons were also affected, I guess that means it is hopeless.

For me, recovery was always slow. I went from wheelchair to walker in about 6 months, then to crutches and by the end of the first year I was starting to walk with canes,and supposed to move on to one cane. I haven't, because my right leg hasn't gained enough strength, my right knee and hip do not extend fully and my right quads are barely 1 out of 5. Neuropathic pain is as strong as in the beginning and sensations have not really changed much. There were some very minimal improvements, nothing significant. I have an algodystrophy on my right toe, and that is probably why I can feel my toe - not very pleasant. I also wanted to know if people have been able to recover bowel and bladder control past the two year mark? Two months past injury, I was able to void, but I can't tell when I need to go and I have to push. Nothing has happened in two years. My husband believes those of us who make it are the ones that do not listen to doomsayers, but press on with therapy. The two emails I got agree with him. However, my efforts are not really paying off. I have stagnated for months now and often feel like giving up. I suppose we all go through the same thing. Thank you for your encouragements - it is a relief to be able to share our concerns with people who understand or have been there!

gretchen 1

i'm 3yrs post injury. t-12 complete. i have significant return to around l-2 or 3 in both legs including all the major muscle groups. some are much stronger than others. hypersensitivity in one leg and only deep sensation in the other. i don't believe i've gained anymore return but i'm making stronger what i did get. the only difference i've noticed is increased pins and needles sensations in both.