Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer

Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer

I'm way overdue for my first exam - I should have started at age 35.

Breast cancer runs in my family big time on my mother's side. The local hospital is not accessible for them (antiquated machines) so I'll have to travel to London (2hrs away).

Thinking about getting the genetics test which is free for Jewish women (at risk) but not for the rest of us. Has anyone had this done?

http://www.lhsc.on.ca/Patients_Famil...ncer/index.htm

By the way, all the info I read states that this should be done after age 50, but both my mother and grandmother had it before that age. Remind me to follow through with this because I've been putting it off for years!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    One of the questions my wife had to answer was she prepared to take preventative steps if the test were positive. Find out what your health system recommends when tests are positive.

Get a mammogram ASAP.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

I know a patient of another physician who indeed had the test done last year. And it is certainly a fact that if you were to come back positive for the gene- the doctor will start providing you with information ASAP on preventative measures. Plus, check with your health provider as that information does go into your medical underwriting file.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Oops! Turns out the local Dragon Boat races raised enough for the hospital to acquire a new digital machine and the genetic testing has a satellite place here in Windsor - yay!

NO reason for me not to follow up then. I've felt a sharp pain once or twice between my right underarm and breast so that is spurring me on as well. I'd hate to lose that part of my sexuality where I can feel!

Hope women 35+ are reading this and we all ask our docs! One of the causes of cancer is an inactive lifestyle.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Saw my doc last Friday and scheduled my first mammogram (but he thinks ultrasound is better and ordered that as well). Really hope the technician is male as I'll make it more uncomfortable for him than me! lol

Lots of misinformation going around about starting at 50 or possibly later ... but with my mother having it at 49, he felt 40 was definitely the appropriate age to start checking.

If I test positive for the gene, I'd be scared if someone told me to have a double masectomy!

No unusual (or usual for that matter, lol) bumps or lumps. Just being cautious.

DON'T FORGET LADIES - CHRISTMAS GIFT TO YOURSELF!

This - and fear of diabetes which is also rampant in my family - are why I started the very restrictive diet. My doc doesn't like it and wishes I'd switch to Forks Over Knives .. no way could I be a complete vegan. No way!

I take an annual fasting blood sugar test in December (the month of her death) and am clear - so far.

My (paternal) grandmother died of breast cancer in her 30's, and my aunt had it in her 40's. My mom has mentioned wanting me to get tested for the gene. However, when my aunt was diagnosed it wasn't typical breast cancer, but a lymphatic cancer in the breast? I don't really understand the difference, but I know they now believe thats what killed my grandmother as well... Its probably something I should be looking into and getting more information.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Definitely - like tomorrow!!! You're in your twenties? I'd mention that you had an aunt die in her thirties ...

Yes, I'm 27. It was my grandmother that died in her 30s, my aunt is currently in remission in her 50's now but had the cancer in her late 40's. It was in the 1950s when my grandmother died, my dad was only 7 and my aunt 5. When my aunt got sick I guess they looked retrospectively back at my grandmothers illness and decided it had been the same, and not typical breast cancer but a lymphatic cancer that happened to be in the breast. I kept the emails from my aunt explaining, so I really should go back and read them. Considering I didn't have my first pap smear until last year (I was scared of gyno exam and wasn't sexually active anyway, finally got it done and found out the pain that made me so scared was caused by pelvic floor dysfunction and vaginismus) I should really take better care of preventative medicine. I do for the things specific to my condition, but kind of ignore everything else in a naive 'it won't happen to me, I've already been struck by lightening...' kind of way. But yea, getting older is making me reconsider things. I don't really even do home breast exams like I should... I did have a breast exam at my physical last december though. I need to start doing them regularly and maybe even see about what age I should start mammograms given my family history.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Especially with your genetic connective tissue issue!!!! You have been told ... LOL!

even if you test positive, it doesnt really mean anything. breast cancer is more prevalent in women who do not have the gene for it.

get your mammograms early(baseline in the 30s) and do self breast exams. that's the best way to get the best treatment.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/