Thread: Knee Separator issues

Knee Separator issues

My hospital(mainly deals with hip replacements) OT is asking me for answers to me for suggestions.

At the moment I'm trialing(and plan on keeping as a back up) http://dmedirect.co.nz/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=56

But as you will see from the photos it does half the job(see photos)

What I'm looking for

Is a drug free way to hold my legs at 90 degrees
    Must be easily moveable between my power, manuals and handcycle

Ideas please

I don't understand. What I see in the pictures is a device to keep your legs apart. Do you also need something to keep them bent at 90 degrees and why?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I don't understand. What I see in the pictures is a device to keep your legs apart. Do you also need something to keep them bent at 90 degrees and why?

Safety as I refuse to lower the spasticity in legs.When I sit I spasm to vary degrees have you ever tried going through a door, turning inside with your legs spasmed straight?

I was confused also. Do you mean you need to keep them straight at 180 degrees when you have spasticity (rather than 90 degrees)? Would a longer abduction wedge/pillow like this help:

Quote Originally Posted by cyfskid View Post
    Safety as I refuse to lower the spasticity in legs.When I sit I spasm to vary degrees have you ever tried going through a door, turning inside with your legs spasmed straight?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I was confused also. Do you mean you need to keep them straight at 180 degrees when you have spasticity (rather than 90 degrees)?
    Sorry

I spaz to 180 degrees at the knees and need to STOP that and hold my knees at 90 degrees

My Helium has a pretty sturdy calf strap. I usually put that in front of my lower legs, instead of behind them as intended. I take the calf strap off and use it on the basketball chair as needed, too. For me that seems to do the job.

Trying to tie or restrain legs from large muscle spasm can easily lead to skin breakdown or even fractured bones...I have seen both. Why will you not consider medications (baclofen, tizanadine, etc.) or even Botox? Surgical procedures that are permanent (ie, neurectomy or other nerve ablation) are also possible, although often with less than ideal results.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    My Helium has a pretty sturdy calf strap. I usually put that in front of my lower legs, instead of behind them as intended. I take the calf strap off and use it on the basketball chair as needed, too. For me that seems to do the job.
    I break them.My stallion had 1 build into the frame see photos
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Trying to tie or restrain legs from large muscle spasm can easily lead to skin breakdown or even fractured bones...I have seen both.
    So have I.Thats why I've messing around with unsuitable fabric options
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Why will you not consider medications (baclofen, tizanadine, etc.) or even Botox? Surgical procedures that are permanent (ie, neurectomy or other nerve ablation) are also possible, although often with less than ideal results.

(KLD)
    My view of MY cp.I considered the SDR for a serious 5 seconds(got my hopes up and all) but decided the risks(around B&B) were to high

Does it do any good to do regular stretching? A least once and hour I either take my feet off my foot rest and induce a spasm, or some other way to let them stretch out.
    You aren't braking the strap, you are releasing the velcro. I'd worry that if you tried to put a none releasable strap you will brake something. That energy has to go somewhere. It might even eject you over the back of the chair. If could be a fun ride for the first second, but after the oooow.
    Is there something that triggers the spasm? I wonder if someone could make something that would pull your feet back on the foot rest when the spasm stops. Like the deal that sucks a seat beat back when you take it off.
    Take your time fixing it. A little at a time, so you don't hurt something.

Does it do any good to do regular stretching? A least once and hour I either take my feet off my foot rest and induce a spasm, or some other way to let them stretch out.
    Seeing as dressage counts as PT yea I stretch
    You aren't braking the strap, you are releasing the velcro. I'd worry that if you tried to put a none releasable strap you will brake something. That energy has to go somewhere. It might even eject you over the back of the chair. If could be a fun ride for the first second, but after the oooow.
    That strap is ineffective because as it has been weaken by the spasms
    Like the deal that sucks a seat beat back when you take it off.
    Take your time fixing it. A little at a time, so you don't hurt something.
    Not moveable between the chairs but I did look into it