Thread: Recommended backup program

Blog Entries

Recommended backup program

Forgive me if I've lost track of asking this before. Can anyone recommend a good backup program for my external drive? The software that came with my previous six landmark caused me no end of headaches, so I'm hesitant to use such a thing again, and is not even sure my new one came with any. Someone recommended to me a free download, but I can't find the link.

It's getting hard to find good backup solutions for free.

SyncBackSE from 2BrightSparks is very good (but not free).

I use Microsoft's SyncToy, which is free, but does not include a scheduler or reporting (you can still schedule regular backups with SyncToy using the Task Scheduler, it's just more work).

Look for an off site backup solution such as carbonite.com
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Blog Entries
    Randy, the backup program in Windows 7 is easy to use, and you already have it. Just go to Control Panel, Backup and Restore, click on Set up backup, and follow the directions. Just make sure that your external hard drive is plugged in before you start, so it will show up on the available drives list.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Yeah, what Donno said. Windows 7 backup program is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Randy, the backup program in Windows 7 is easy to use, and you already have it. Just go to Control Panel, Backup and Restore, click on Set up backup, and follow the directions. Just make sure that your external hard drive is plugged in before you start, so it will show up on the available drives list.

If your external is encrypted you cannot use Windows 7 backup.

Genie Timeline free and Backup Maker are two programs which are easy to use, and they will allow you to designate an encrypted drive as main backup. However, make sure you have mounted the drive before backing anything up to it.