Thread: Water repellent equip while on wheels (?)

Water repellent equip while on wheels (?)

Hello All,

I'm actually searching for 3 different water-repellent items/equipment:

1. to protect feet (meaning the whole leg down till the shoes, or at least till the knees where the rain hits the most) not to get wet when raining on the wheelchair.

2. to protect the cushion for same reason as above (also when getting out from shower or the swimming pool , I currently laying upon a towel)

3. heard that swimmers use a repellent film to cover the whole wheelchair, then sitting on it and have a quick shower after the pool (actually its pretty rare you'll find a shower wheelchair in a swimming pool to trasfer to)

WILL APPRECIATE VERY MUCH YOUR INPUT (e-shop links , ideas for customizing ect.)

Thank you in advance
    ''Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via''

Quote Originally Posted by ReArkou View Post
    Hello All,

I'm actually searching for 3 different water-repellent items/equipment:

1. to protect feet (meaning the whole leg down till the shoes, or at least till the knees where the rain hits the most) not to get wet when raining on the wheelchair.
    Usually worn with a rain poncho.
    http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...roduct_id=3026
    http://www.essentialaids.com/mobilit...-kover-up.html

Found these combinations on an Irish site:
    http://www.essentialaids.com/mobilit...heely-mac.html
    http://www.essentialaids.com/mobilit...h-sleeves.html

2. to protect the cushion for same reason as above (also when getting out from shower or the swimming pool , I currently laying upon a towel)
    I would strongly advise against using anything waterproof on top of your cushion for routine or long term use. Such material would significantly lower the pressure reducing and heat dissipating properties of a good quality wheelchair cushion.

3. heard that swimmers use a repellent film to cover the whole wheelchair, then sitting on it and have a quick shower after the pool (actually its pretty rare you'll find a shower wheelchair in a swimming pool to trasfer to)
    Never heard of this, unlikely to be totally waterproof enough to protect bearings, etc. Many people use an old beat-up wheelchair for this though.

(KLD)

Thank you SCI-Nurse
    ''Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via''

I am curious if you find what this is. We are looking to get a carbon fiber base and seat back for stability, but also so that if really needed, we can put a Stimulite cushion/back on and use it for showering when travelling. I would be interested in anything that would help to protect the chair on the few occasions this is necessary.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

use a fine quality car wax on all exposed metal parts. use a rubber/plastic protector on other parts.

For feet and legs I use a garbage bag pulled up to my lap, then a kid-sized poncho over the top and tucked under the bottom of my cushion. Trash bag is a few cents, poncho is $3. When I go swimming, I put a plastic bag over my cushion, and take my shower when I get home.

I have a Roho rubber/vinyl cover on my cushion. Works great. I keep it on at all times and have a nice cloth cover over that. Helps with accidents too.