Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you believe in Patrick Rummerfield's recovery?

I think he's full of shit, personally. (JOKE! Just a joke!) Honestly, if he recovered, I'm happy for him. I just don't think we can take individual experiences with such complex injuries as we have and make them apply to all.

What's to believe? He recovered. It's a fact. He was fortunate enough to have return and he coupled that with the endurance, dedication, and committment to push it to the ultimate limit. He had the right mix. Some folks don't. Some have return but not the drive while others have the drive without the return. He also likely had a good support network, a conducive personality type, resources, proper diet, lack of health complications, etc. I think when it comes together most anything you are doing toward rehab will work. I myself am a proponent of exercise base therapy. At Kernan my PT had a pretty exhaustive routine twice a day and I have done my own exercise therapy routine since the moment I left rehab as an ASIA B pushing C T12 para . I have made great progress, but this only amounts to correlative value no matter how you slice it. This is a case where you can't narrow it down to one factor. Exercise therapy is just one of many variables necessary for recovery.

I've watched and read good bit about him, and I can recall him repeatedly claiming that it took him three years to get to a point where he could kinda drag his weak side around (as he phrased it, more or less).

So apparently the whole "looking normal" part came along after three years.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

I just want to say that while I am sure his injury is substantial the idea of therapy and hard work being the reason he is walking is counter to encouragement. I have worked hard. My injury isn't as bad. I can't walk on my own. It isn't that I don't want. It isn't that I haven't tried. It is because every recovery is different based on the healing process of the individual body. Some can't grow a full beard no matter what they do, but I can... Bodies work different in so many ways.

I typed this fast, so all the mistakes are because of my typing not Dr McDonalds.

The Medical and Scientific Viewpoint
    of the Recovery of Patrick Rummerfield

John W. McDonald III, MD ,PhD
    Director, International Center for Spinal Cord Injury
    Kennedy Krieger Institute
    Associate Professor, Neurology and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
    Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Why Pat Rummerfield? The answer is not that his recovery was a fluke or that his injury was a mild bruising of the spinal cord. In fact, Pat’s injury was a severe spinal-cord injury, resulting in him damaging C-3 through C-6 levels in the neck with the severest injury at the C-4 level. More advanced imaging now reveals that his injury actually extends all the way up to the base of his brain and to his mid-back level. This injury left him unable to move or feel anything below his neck, unable to control bodily functions such as urination or defecation or even control hid blood pressure and body temperature.

So why Patrick Rummerfield? Why did he recover? Part of the answer lies with the unique anatomy and blood supply of the spinal cord. The spinal cord is organized just the opposite of the brain. The white matter, which carries all the wires to and from the body, to the brain, is located on the outer side of the spinal cord.

The gray matter, which contains the nerve-cell bodies that send signals out to the muscles of the body, is located in the middle of the spinal cord. Trauma, like Pat’s motor-vehicle accident, breaks the spinal column and bone fragments impinge upon the soft, jelly-like spinal cord, causing bleeding and rapid swelling. The swelling occurs within a fixed-diameter spinal column no bigger than a garden hose and this, in turn, furthers cuts off the blood supply to the damaged spinal cord.

Essentially, the spinal cord dies from the inside out, typically leaving a fluid filled hole in the middle of the spinal cord where the central gray matter was located. Each gray matter level controls muscles at that level of the spinal cord only. Therefore, one can afford to lose one to two levels of the gray matter of the spinal card without much loss of motor function. However, as the damage extends to the outer white matter, connections to and from the brain and body are severed and damaged, leading to rapid loss of motor and sensory function below the injury site.

The good news is that damaged, non-functioning connections still exist across the injury, particularly in the outer most edges of the spinal cord, resembling a donut of remaining tissue at the injury level. The key is regaining control in these intact but damaged connections, as science has taught us that animals, whose spinal cords are similar to ours, can walk with less than 20% of connections left functional.

You can line up MRI’s just like Pat’s MRI and only one 1 out of 10 patients will be walking. So why is Pat different? We have learned that there are three essential features to recovery that individuals need to fully succeed.

1. Family support is essential as one cannot accomplish this difficult challenge alone. Pat had that in a loving father who was willing to do anything for his injured son.

2. Pat was an athlete and we have observed that those who have substantial recovery are often athletes. Athletes are very in tune with the signals from their bodies and have an uncanny ability to utilize abnormal information to regain control of their motor function. Pat is a perfect example of this as his motor system is in far better shape then his sensory system – the ability to feel or sense where you walk on an uneven surface. Even today, Pat’s sensory function is worse than the late actor/activist Christopher Reeve who sustained one of the highest level injuries ( C-2 just below the head) and the worst severity. For example, Pat does not know where his legs are in space unless he looks at them – there has been many a times when we are walking together, actively engaged in discussing new research findings, when Pat suddenly plops to the ground. However, Pat has learned to use different sensory information to allow him to get a better understanding of where his feet are while walking or racing. This is the athlete in him.

3. As is typical present in athletes, persistence in anticipation of future gains, although the gains may be months to years off. Not giving up because of lace of early returns is a critical requirement. Yet there are many gifted people living with spinal-cord injury who are not walking, so why Pat? Quite simply: Pat processes and always has processed since his days as an orphan, an undeniable sense of hope and unwavering determination. Pat will finish and accomplish whatever goals he puts his mind to, no matter obstacle or pain stand in his way. He will find a way no matter what because he knows it is possible. This is Pat’s difference. Pat still has that young, hope filled boy inside him, even today.

Time has allowed us to uncover additional scientific reasons for Pat’s remarkable function today. MRI technology has dramatically advanced since the first MRI’s of Pat’s spinal cord in the 1990’s. Until recently, MRI could only, detect the presence or absence of tissue. It could not determine if the tissue left surrounding the injury epicenter of the spinal cord was healthy and functional or just scar tissue. Most assumed it was just scar tissue since individuals with bad spinal-cord injuries like Pat’s had little to know function below the injury level. Well that assumption was simply wrong.

In the last five years, we have worked diligently to develop very advanced MRI imaging that allows for the first time to determine the integrity of the remaining white matter surrounding the injury site – giving us estimates of the anatomical health of the wires traversing the injury site as well as the state of their insulation, or myelination – both necessary for the connection to broadcast information to and from the brain.

You can understand my excitement as I was first able to apply new imaging to further study Pat Rummerfield. Using it for the first time on a human, we could finally know just how many connections are necessary for a realistic cure like Pat’s recovery. And the answer? Well, Pat has approximately 30% of his connection left across his injury epicenter, a number very similar to what we learned decades before in animal studies.

However, each tract serves distinct functions and the new, advanced imaging closely matched Pat’s functional characteristics. For example, like many spinal-cord injuries, the injury is not perfect; often, one side is affected more than the other. This is true in Pat’s case. Motor function is much worse on his right side compared to his left.

The advanced MRI imaging illustrated the same with the motor tract (wires) corresponding to the right side of the body being more damaged than that of the left. There are approximately only 15-20% of the connections serving Pat’s right-sided motor function. The tract most damaged in Pat are the dorsal columns that relay information on the whereabouts of the legs to the brain. This correlates very well with Pat’s almost absent proprioception ( the ability to know where your legs are in space with your eyes closed or in the dark) – her Pat has less than 5% of connections remaining.

The best single scientific explanation of Pat’s extensive recovery was his early and constant life dedication to physical activity in the first few years following his injury. Like many of Pat’s important decisions, he did not know all the reasons why it was critical to devote himself to physical activity (of any kind), but early on he simply understood that if he did not use his muscles he would lose them. It was not till the late 1990’s that science caught up and began to discover just how critical physical activity is to promoting recovery of function.
    JimmyMack
    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

"For example, Pat does not know where his legs are in space unless he looks at them – there has been many a times when we are walking together, actively engaged in discussing new research findings, when Pat suddenly plops to the ground. However, Pat has learned to use different sensory information to allow him to get a better understanding of where his feet are while walking or racing. This is the athlete in him."

I've talked with Pat 4-5 times over the years and he was the original inspiration for me. Fast forward to 2004 when I originally came home from the hospital, I was struck down in 2003 December 6th. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, not that I chew gum or have tried it ain't happening. On the other hand, talk to me while I'm walking, get me really involved in conversation, and excited, BAM!!! It's happened more than once.

I can't run yet, but i'm trying, I haven't given up, I'm not an athlete but share the same sort of work discipline. I learned a lot from him in the early days of the internet, what I might be able to expect, and was able, thanks to the information move very fast although the healing took a long time. I'm still pushing everyday, I have to, I can loose it too quick as I have found out the hard way more than once.