Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C5 Incomplete, Asia B?

Smile Warm Welcome

Hi Shan 103 I am sorry you / your husband ended up with a SCI etc....

Warm Welcome to Care Cure , Here we care & share / help eachother with support , advice etc...

FMOE I say within first year is when you'll know & find out more prognosis etc...First Hand ..

Never give up on support and hope

No 2 injuries are 100% identical so every person who sustains a SCI will heal up or regain sensations at their own pace ...
    The main part of this Technically is to 1,st know spinal swelling must subside on the cord etc... then possibilities increase over time .

Do not take to heart 100% what a hospital or Dr say's ok ?
    Especially as Swelling resides ...

Sometimes Cards turn better and you'll both know over a little more time as more cards are dealt to you both you both may notice much better results ..

I believe in Not using or hearing someone medically tell me " No "

I Say Yes and it may not happen immediately but Look Rome Wasnt built in a Day
    Using metaphors is how I like to explain thing's

Keeping a positive mindset and you being there supporting him is super
    I wish you both the best

Sincerely ;
    GL

Thank you all for the warm words of encouragement! I have read through so many of these posts and I am truly so inspired by many of your stories. At the same time, I am amazed with how little is known about spinal cord injuries. I guess it IS difficult to treat somethng SO complex. This is a subject that I have learned more from other patients than I have from the doctors. I have been reading so many articles from Dr. Wise and have learned a tremendous amount from him. I think my husbands doctors were thorougly impressed with some of my questions and shocked about what I knew already. I'm really keeping them on their toes! You all are truly an inspiration!

On an even more positive note, we discovered last night that my husband can now move his index finger!! I never thought I would be so excited about a wiggly finger, but i am over the moon with excitement! I know it's not much, but I'll take WHATEVER I can get!! Return is return :-) :-)

Anyone know where I can find a detailed chart of what part of the spinal cord controls what motor function? I know I saw one, actually several, before but I can't seem to locate one now. I'm just trying to find out what level of the cord controls movement to the index finger...

This new educational program, designed for those who are newly injured and their family members, is available on-line here:

http://www.spinalinjury101.org/

This DVD/video was funded by the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, The Shepherd Center, The Amercan Trauma Society, and the National SCI Association (NSCIA).

pbr

Thank you SCI Nurse! That video was very informative and exactly what I needed to see. I'm shocked i didnt stumble upon that sooner with all of the internet researching I have done.

A little update on my husband - We are now at 7 weeks post injury, exactly and he now has tricep return in both arms. The left side definitely appears stronger than the right side though. He also has movement (controlled) in his index finger and the thumb on the left hand. The feeling in the rest of his body is also improving, he can now feel when he is having a bowel movement and can feel when he is being cathed. Typical guy fashion, he has made me and others fully aware that he has full feeling in his genital area and is also able to achieve and maintain an erection. He feels that it's easier to be cathed when he has a semi erection - is this OK for him to do or is this normal? Also should I ask his PT and OT to maybe start doing electrical stimulation on his hands as well now that he is starting to get return there?

Smile

Thank you everyone for such great information!

I know Dr. Young says not to get caught up in Asia the asia scale rating, but I am happy to report that my husband has just been upgraded to an Asia C We discovered last week that he had some movement in his left leg, but it appeared to be just a very slight movement, and it was really hard to tell what exactly he may have moved. Friday night when they got him back to bed I asked him to move his leg again and he could actually bend his left knee a little bit!! Dont get me wrong, he's not swinging his leg or hopping around.. it is a slight movement but it's there and I love to see it!!

Today during his PT they determined that he can move most of the muscles in his left leg, even his hip!! I am completely over the moon about this. We haven't had any return to the right side (yet) but i'm hoping that will come eventually!

I do have a question regarding blood pressure and AD though. This morning his blood pressure spiked and they cathed him right away and got a pretty decent amount (between 500 to 600 cc) and then right after they cathed him his blood pressure plummited...is this typical? I guess I kind of thought that once you find out what's causing the AD and fix it that the blood pressure would just stabilize... any thoughts?

Its hard not to get caught up with progress. Glad to hear your husband seems to be improving steadily. I have never had AD. Sorry, can't help.

One sign of AD is blood pressure spiking. My experience is that when you find the source causing AD, things normalize quite quickly. when cathed did they sit your husband up? Especially in relatively new injuries, quick changes in position can effect blood pressure and sitting up would tend to drop blood pressure.

Thank you MFlounacker and dozer1dave for the responses. When they cathed him he was already in the upright position. He hasn't really had any problems with AD until yesterday and he's been able to sit up completely without having any blood pressure issues since the end of September. Should they have taken him out of the chair and laid him down in the bed to cath him anyways? It still seems strange to me that his blood pressure would drop so low after they cathed him...any thoughs on that? His blood pressure before cath was around 145 and after they cathed him it dropped to like 66...thats a huge drop!

Shan - As others have said, each spinal cord injury is unique. I know it's hard right now to take one day at a time because your lives have been upended, but having your husband really participate in therapy to rebuild as much strength as he can and avoid complications like pressure wounds (by doing weight shifts) over the next few months will be important. The docs you've talked to probably brought this up, but most recovery occurs 6 months to a year after such an injury. The up and down blood pressure he's getting should stabilize over time...after I was first hurt I would get very light-headed and actually pass out while getting up and laying down...over time this got better and doesn't happen much at all today.

Good luck...your husband is lucky to have you in his corner.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust