Thread: Can I Sit Up Now?!? (pressure sore)

Can I Sit Up Now?!? (pressure sore)

I have healed a one time stage IV pressure sore. My question is, can I start sitting up now? My wound Doc says yes however he has not been the best Doc when it comes to dealing with my pressure sore. I am scared to death that this pressure sore will open back up. I realize I will have to take it slow and do the whole 15 min 1 day, 30 min day 2, and so forth. I have completed my seating evaulation and now have a ROHO hi profile Quatro. So, do you think it is safe for me to start sitting according to this pic? This is on my ischil on buttocks.

Make sure you thoroughly understand how to inflate and manage your Roho Quadtro cushion. If the cushion is not properly inflated for your seating position, you can "bottom out" which places pressure where you don't want or need it. You or your caregiver should check the cushion daily for proper inflation and positioning.

Store the pump and patches in a convenient to remember place. You'll need them occasionally.

Here are a couple of websites with videos and graphics that are a good reference.
    http://www.therohogroup.com/roho%20i...eo_library.jsp
    http://www.therohogroup.com/roho%20i...eo_library.jsp

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks for the replies. I would like a few more perspectives from other members. If anyone else could offer their opinion if they think this pressure sore is ready to be sat on. I am very scared of this sore opening back up.

Thanks so much.

It's great your wound healed w/out surgery. I've had pressure wound issues over the years along with surgeries too. Take it one day at a time, do lots of weight shifts/pressure reliefs and sit a bit more each day.

Imo, that looks pretty good, but I would be very careful about sitting on it for long periods of time. Doubling your time up after just one day seems exceesive to me. I would start with 15 minutes at a time for a least a week, then gradually increase the time. Most important though, is to check it, and check it often. If you notice any changes, then cut the time down or stay off of it for a while until things get better. I'm impressed that you healed this all on your own. I'm sure you will continue to do well.

No. The dark pink part has too much scar tissue that isn't formed properly yet ... it would probably well up like a blister and open up again ... but I'm overly cautious. Just my opinion. I'd like to see it less 'dark' and more 'light' after all that time invested.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Smashms, were you able to heal your wound any before you did the flap? Also, once you started your sitting routine how long did it take to get back up to 8 hours per day? Thanks for your help.

I have never healed a stage IV on my own either, but I have healed a stage III. My wound looks very similar to yours right now and it has been about six years since it closed up. The red/pink area in the middle is concerning. This is why I would be very careful about sitting on it.

As for the sitting schedule itself, each case is different. I had two flaps done at the same time (stage IV). I started at 5 minutes once a day for the first week. The following week is was 5 minutes twice a day. After that, it went to 10 minutes once a day for a week, then 10 minutes twice a day for the next week, and so on. When I reached 30 minutes after six weeks, I went home and continued on this schedule. My goal was to reach 5 hours at a time. I was told that I should never sit up for longer than that. I have managed to stretch that time some, but it is very important to keep checking for redness or breakdown, especially in the beginning. So far this schedule has worked for me, with no major setbacks.

I hope that I haven’t given you any bad advice here. I am speaking of my own experience. Only you and your doctor can decide what is best for you. I am rooting for you though, and I hope that your healing continues. It takes a lot of time and patience, but you will get there.

I wonder what laser treatments would do to scar tissue - much like burn patients receive in extreme cases?

Would involve more time off wounds but burn patients often have the same re-opening scar tissues.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12