Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other medications for nerve pain

Other medications for nerve pain

Hi - What other medications are available/effective for nerve pain? I'm a T3, ASIA B, 5 months post injury.

I am currently taking 120mg of Cymbalta, 3600mg of Neurontin / Gabapentin and 100mg of Amitriptyline. I also started 200mg of Topamax @ bedtime about a week ago.

I think the Neurontin helps but not much. Would switching to the max dose of Lyrica help or would it be as effective as the 3600mg of Gabapentin?

Any other treatment options besides oral medications (other than an implanted pump)?

My pain starts just below my injury level and goes all the way down to my feet. It is a burning buzzing sensation in my legs and feet, just burning in butt, thighs.. and burning, tightness in my torso.

Thanks!
    Jason

Lyrica may be more effective than neurontin . It is for me. I revisited neuron tin after 7 years to see if I could save month by switching back from Lyrica to Neurontin. I gave it 4 weeks or longer. It was not as helpful although I did save 100 dollars a month. That is 1.5 tank of gas or 25 starbuck lattes. I had to go back to Lyrica, for me it is way better than neuron tin. I am at 450 mg /day in 3 divided doses. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Lyrica may be more effective than neurontin . It is for me. I revisited neuron tin after 7 years to see if I could save month by switching back from Lyrica to Neurontin. I gave it 4 weeks or longer. It was not as helpful although I did save 100 dollars a month. That is 1.5 tank of gas or 25 starbuck lattes. I had to go back to Lyrica, for me it is way better than neuron tin. I am at 450 mg /day in 3 divided doses. good luck.
    Thanks. What mg of Neurontin were you on?

I'm currently trying to ramp up my intake of Lyrica, starting small at 50mgX3 a day, and even at this low dose, it is making me sick as a dog. I feel all drugged out and my stomach is not happy to say the least. Its been six days and I'm not sure how much longer to take this stuff, to see if the side effects will go away. I guess Lyrica is not for everyone.
    Anyone try the Fentanyl patches?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Jason,
    Watch the side effects of the Topomax. If you start having problems with your gums or teeth hurting, then it is the Topomax. I was injured over five years ago and had massive nerve pain the first few years. Tried them all. I hope one does help you. I only had some luck with the Amitriptylene at night before bed. Lyrica did not help me but it does with others. You are on the max for neurotin.
    You are only five months into your injury. It took my body over a year just to heal. You need to give it time. It is easy to over medicate yourself too. Be Careful mixing so many drugs together. Half of them are a waste. I wish you well.
    Best Regards,
    Joe

Flying - I suggest staying with Lyrica for 3 weeks for the CNS side effects to settle down. I am taking 150 mg three times a day. I really feel that this is beneficial for me. I guess I still have CNS side effects, but part of me has forgotten what it feels like to not have drug side effects over these 10 years. I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    I'm currently trying to ramp up my intake of Lyrica, starting small at 50mgX3 a day, and even at this low dose, it is making me sick as a dog. I feel all drugged out and my stomach is not happy to say the least. Its been six days and I'm not sure how much longer to take this stuff, to see if the side effects will go away. I guess Lyrica is not for everyone.
    Anyone try the Fentanyl patches?
    I use Fentanyl patches. They make me feel a whole lot better in the morning when I wake up.

I have heard good and bad results from patients on Lyrica. However, personally the Neuroton works well for me. However I take 600 MG 4 times a day. Can be a bit tuff on the stomach depending on the day. As for the Fetanyl patches be careful as they can be a bit dangerous depending on the manufacturer etc. Sometimes they release more than they are suppose too. Good luck and try some yogurt with the pills..... It will possibly help your stomach. However, depending on your bowl/bladder program introducing new foods could pose a problem. I hope you feel better soon!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Arndog I hear ya about the side affects. I only took the Lyrica for six days, and maybe the side affects would diminish over time, but I felt so miserable that I just could not continue. I have Gastroparisis, (pre sci) which really complicates the taking of meds. If I just look at my stomach it hurts a lot, and if I take something, it takes about 2.5 hours before I can feel it. So far the Fetanly patch seems to be working, with only a tolerable amount of side affects. Arndog, so how is your intellect doing with all the pain meds? Sometimes when I get around some of my friends who are on massive pain meds, I test them to see if they can still think strait. If they get this joke then I figure they are doing OK.
    Went out to eat at a German Chinese restaurant, the food was pretty good, but two hours later I was power hungry
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

My husband takes 150 mg of Lyrica 3X daily for the type of pain described here
    Even a small increase made a huge difference.
    He still has an excruciating night now and then, but not like when on neurontin.
    An occasional Ativan helps when it feels out of control.
    Good luck!