Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "It could have been worse"

The "it could have been worse" statement has always been unsatisfying. I know my injury could have been worse...I was at Kessler Rehab at the same time Chris Reeve a.k.a. Superman who's injury was at c1/2, which is known infamously as a hangman's injury. So while we both entered Kessler on a vent...he didn't get off the vent but I did b/c my injury was lower at c4/5. I remember seeing him in the hall when he heard I had just weened off the vent...he graciously congratulated me and said he hoped to get off his vent too...Chris didn't and died a few years later after a infected pressure wound overwhelmed his compromised immune system.

Our injuries could always have been worse (higher), better (lower) or best yet...not at all. The injury we have is the only one we know...

A very stupid, yet commonplace statement.

Able-bodied people are not us. Unless they're exposed to the daily living of a paralyzed individual, they truly don't get it. Hence you get the commonplace sentiments said to you because it's what able-bodied people tell other able-bodied people, not realizing it's not appropriate to tell crippled people.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    Our injuries could always have been worse (higher), better (lower) or best yet...not at all. The injury we have is the only one we know...
    Unless you're dead, you can potentially be told it could have been worse.

Smile

i hate when they say how well you handle it, i don/t think i could shee like i have a choice

It couda be....

Oh fuck off!!!

I never let them finish that statement...
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Or what happened to me when a "friend" had a kid in a car accident. She was telling me he rolled the car and how stupid he was being and I said he could have been killed. She replied

Yea or worse he could have been paralyzed.

? I didn't realize she thought I was better off dead.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    "It could have been worse";

"yea, it could have been you."

Shuts 'em up every time.
    My variant of this reply:

"It could have been worse"

"yeah, I could have been you."
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    My variant of this reply:

"It could have been worse"

"yeah, I could have been you."
    If it comes up again i think i will use your response! No doubt it will at least make them stop and think.... Rarely do things people say get to me but we all have our days...

I just let it go. A healthy AB cannot really understand the plight of others. My dad has Parkinson's pretty bad, and I don't know what to say to him.

And actually, when he was healthy, my dad was probably best at understanding my losses and bundling them up with the good parts (many) I still have and verbalizing the entire picture. Wish I could do it for him.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

When people use the term, "It could have been worse, you could have died", I reply that I would have preferred death. I love the look on their faces. It gets even better when they realize I mean it.