Thread: Tire Costs

Tire Costs

Why is it if I order a chair and instead go getting the standard wheels I upgrade (through the WC manufacturer) I don't get a cost credit? For example, if the standard, no cost, wheel costs $285 and I want a wheel that retails at $885, shouldn't the upgrade only be $685?

E
    PS title should be wheel cost.
    Last edited by Essie; 10-11-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

I've seen many people here go with the standard wheels and then purchase upgraded wheels off sportaid.com. It all depends on how insurance or self pay works for you, but for many this was cheaper or the same cost and you have an extra set of wheels!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Ahhh . . . the nuances of costs in the mobility world . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

It never hurts to attempt to negotiate with vendors... been there done that.

You are the buyer. Be aggressive with whoever you are dealing with. It is no diffeent than buying a car. I am buyin a new TR3 chair from my LOCAL health store. They presented me a quote that basically was MSRP. I told them I can get it much cheaper on the Internet and if you match that price I will buy it from you. I instanly have 25% discount which is basically the price difference Sportaid is giving you. The local supplier and Sportaid are still making tons of $$$$.

I hear you on this Essie. We are looking to order a ZRA, and to omit rear wheels = -$50, omit back/seat upholstery = $0. We'll probably go ahead and order them and use them as spares. We can use the back upholstery on another chair, but I'm hoping they will do that, because the standard velcro adjustable back is not available with fold-down push handles, which we are getting on the new chair.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).