Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New video of the beta Rowheels in use.

Quote Originally Posted by voxina View Post
    What's the benefit supposed to be, like a manual push-asist? All I could see was you pushed backwards... and it's supposed to help with braking? How's it work?
    http://www.rowheels.com/benefits/
    http://www.rowheels.com/faq/

I know I'm in the opposite corner of the country, but I'd love to trial a set for free. I can adjust to "rowing", I mean how long does it take to figure out to go up hill backwards in a regular chair. The hill holder is essential in Seattle.

That has completely messed with my head!!!! Oh the hurt!!!!
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

It would be good to exercise opposing muscles but otherwise it looks like a wrist or elbow injury waiting to happen.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    It would be good to exercise opposing muscles but otherwise it looks like a wrist or elbow injury waiting to happen.
    Pushing your regular manual chair forces/compresses the median nerve into the carpal tunnel, increasing the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome. Pulling to go forward (Rowheels) does the opposite buy putting the ligaments and tendons in the wrist in tension.

Pushing a wheelchair is very bio-mechanicaly inefficient. Read any research paper looking at muscle activity during the pushing phase and you'll see why. Your Pectoralis major, Infraspinatous, and Anterior Deltoids do most of the work, especially at the beginning of the pushing stroke when large initiation forces are required. The triceps don't really contribute until the last part of the pushing.
    In pulling to go forward (Rowheels), the Biceps and Lattisimus dorsi are involved in the pulling phase from the beginning, reducing the work done by the shoulders.
    Rowheels also reduce repetition due to the gear ratio applied.

torso stability

What about people without trunk extensor muscles (the vast majority of motor complete SCI)? Don’t they tend to fall forward pulled by their arms while propelling? Aren’t they compelled to move back head and upper torso at each pull, just to avoid falling?

Thanks