Thread: Nerve Pain and Exercise

Nerve Pain and Exercise

A couple of evenings ago, I went on a bike ride that was probably something like twice as intense as what I usually do and now I am paying for it. The stiffness and soreness I could expect, but what's interesting is that I have developed this extremely localized neuropathic pain on the surface of my knee that feels like someone is sporadically tazing me.

I don't typically get neuropathic pain, but if I do it is always in the right leg and it is typically centered around the knee, though my shin and foot has been known to hurt as well. My sensation is pretty good as best as I can tell, and there is no visible swelling or redness. However I can't help but wonder whether this neuropathic pain could be a result of some sort of joint irritation and the signals just manifest themselves as this sharp, electric shock type feeling.

Do any of you guys feel worse neuropathic pain after tons of exercise? Or should I be worried about my knee.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Yeah, I read about your epic ride! Sorry to hear about the after affects. I don't have much neuro pain either. However, if I get too much of a workout or not enough, my legs stiffen up during the night like one big cramp. Ultra sore then the next day. It's so hard to find a good balance and once you do, the landscape changes again. I hope your pain is manageable and goes away quickly.

I've got that stupid nuro pain, and its a pain in the ass, well just ass if your lucky. Long hand cycle rides help with the pain for me, with is counterintuitive, because one would think that being on ones ass that long(2to3 hours) would make the pain in ones ass much worse. Hope your not starting to get this nuro shit. BTW how much feeling do you have in your knee?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Yea, I hope I'm not getting any neuropathic pain again either. I had a ton early on and then it dissipated. I bet the neuro pain going away due to exercise has something to do with either blood flow or just the endorphins. Does the neuropathic pain relief last past the exercise or is it only during the fact?

As best as I can tell, my sensation is normal all the way down to my left ankle and then it gets to be a fuzzy, modified sensation. My right leg has normal sensation until the knee, and then it's a patchwork of fuzzy sensation and normal sensation down through my right foot. The only spot I can't feel at all is a six inch area on my right shin. The fuzzy, modified sensation is still pretty sensitive - I can feel the grit of a dirty tile floor with both feet, for instance.

What has always been disconcerting to me is the modified sensation in my right knee. I don't know how much I trust it to tell me that I'm doing something weird to the network of tendons in there, and the modified sensation is such that it constantly feels like I have tension on the left side of the knee and there are all sorts of minor shoots and pains that I just ignore, which is fairly easy to do. Problem is, I want to know if they are grounded in reality in some way or another.

shved - I definitely pay with neuropathic pain with intense exercise. The only good thing that happens is that the endorphins kick in and they help ease the suffering. I have horrendous shocks after crutch walking but what can I do? Stay at home? It is just part of the territory. Now I anticipate it and will treat it with meds and try not to suffer. Hope your's isn't too bad. Don't let it stop you doing anything. Don't let it win.

It's not going to win. I'm just concerned about the longevity of my joints and I want to go about things in a way that gives me as much time of "not letting it win" as possible. It really freaks me out that I'm more fragile and more prone to injury these days.

But then again, what's the worst that can happen? Perhaps after 20 years I end up back in a wheelchair. By all accounts that's where I should be anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    shved - I definitely pay with neuropathic pain with intense exercise. The only good thing that happens is that the endorphins kick in and they help ease the suffering. I have horrendous shocks after crutch walking but what can I do? Stay at home? It is just part of the territory. Now I anticipate it and will treat it with meds and try not to suffer. Hope your's isn't too bad. Don't let it stop you doing anything. Don't let it win.
    I am quite the opposite = exercise aliviates it - it's the daily grind and work the leave me with terrible acid burning from the knee down on my right, and that leg gets the electric fence jolts like you're talking about - glad I'm not the only one - you go stiff as a board and people ask what's up and you tell them "I just shocked the shit out of myself"
    That gets some odd looks........
    Nerve pain, shocks, fusion pain, bone fragments, HO bone growth, a bone callus, stiffness, overuse..the list goes on & on.
    I don't know how I do it most days.
    Just turned over 7yrs crippled up on the 5th of Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by shveddy View Post
    It's not going to win. I'm just concerned about the longevity of my joints and I want to go about things in a way that gives me as much time of "not letting it win" as possible. It really freaks me out that I'm more fragile and more prone to injury these days.
    I can really relate to this statement. It's one thing to drag oneself out of the mire and be able to enjoy hiking, biking, driving, whatever we're capable of. However, the realization that I'm going to have to be a lot more careful and live differently is kind of a new concept for me (late bloomer, I guess). I have to assess everything to make sure I have the energy to complete the job I start. I'd never broken a bone before my SCI injury. Besides the breaks that came with my injury, I've had one major one since then and I'm only a little over two years in.

I'm not going to let it win, either, but we need to play the game a bit differently in order to go the distance.

I'm with you on your concern!

Seems like when I get "shocks" or like "tazing" over and over, as you call it, VS my regular neuropathic pain, it means that I hurt myself in some real way. The other time I get shocks is when I have an infection of some kind. Oxycodone takes the shocks away. Its the only kind of nerve pain that it really helps (for me).