Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Issues

My mother has a Permobile C300 with an elevating seat, which she loves, but we did have to work closely with the vendor on configuring the chair so that she can also get under regular height tables at restaurants, etc. Also, Medicare would not pay for this feature on the chair, so that cost was entirely out of pocket (and not cheap). Places where she likes to use the elevating feature include:
    • Sitting at the breakfast bar in her home.
    • When talking with standing people.
    • To better see exhibits at museums and art shows.
    • To reach things that are higher in the room (light switches, etc.).
    • To reach things on higher shelves when shopping.

She is not able to cook so does not use it in the kitchen, but it would be helpful here as well if she did.

The chair is noticeably more unstable with the seat all the way up, so she has to be very careful driving with the seat raised, esp. up or down ramps or other inclines or uneven ground, or if also using the chair's tilt/recline features.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    On my new Invicare TDX SP the seat to floor height is 18.5...I guess I'll have to get used to this height...it's just that I was used to being higher in my old Invicare. It's all frustrating and depressing because once you have a chair you're basically stuck with it for several years (depending on your funding source of insurance or private pay).
    I'm thinking about getting the seat elevation motor added...it may be pricey but still worth it.

Ugh...it's too late now but the Permobile M300 w/ the elevating seat looks great...I'm jealous.
    Hi Kyle,

I just got a TDX-SP with Tilt-in-Space and seat elevator. I love these two functions as I can lower and get under tables, tilt at my dentists office (instead of transfers) and elevating so I can be eye-to-eye with most men and taller than most women. If you afford it, go for it and I don't think you'll have any regrets.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

On my new Invicare TDX SP the seat to floor height is 18.5...I guess I'll have to get used to this height...it's just that I was used to being higher in my old Invicare. It's all frustrating and depressing because once you have a chair you're basically stuck with it for several years (depending on your funding source of insurance or private pay).
    I'm thinking about getting the seat elevation motor added...it may be pricey but still worth it.

Ugh...it's too late now but the Permobile M300 w/ the elevating seat looks great...I'm jealous.
    My long legs have always been a problem on manual chairs. To sit properly I had to lower the footrests to within 1/2 - 3/4" of the surface. That is not enough clearance in many, if not most places. I put a relatively firm cheap 1" cushion under my Roho. That enabled me to raise the footrests 1" higher and made much more mobile. You might try something like that.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Thanks for everyone's input.

It's annoying for me if the person stands too close - it hurts my neck trying to look up. I try to keep some distance so it isn't so bad. My girlfriend is only 5' 4" though and we don't seem to have any problem when we're together. Very tall people can be real tough. Never had a powerchair with a seat elevator, I'd be curious. Since I was turned down for a replacement for my TDX-SP and had to pay out of pocket to fix the old one, I don't think anyone is buying me one with that feature any time soon. I do know a guy with a seat elevator and he uses it in the bar a lot. I wonder what it's like.

A seat elevator would be great for a few reasons...one is raising the seat up to make 1 person assisted pivot transfers into bed much easier. The problem is the cost. The wheelchair vendor I use says adding the seat elevator to my Invacare TDX-SP will cost $4,500...

The list price for the elevator on my Permobil chair is $2518. I paid $2400. Seems like a big difference especially when Permobils are probably the priciest chairs.

Well $4,500 for the seat elevator is the cost the wheelchair vendor I've used for a while gave me. I wonder how much of that figure is for labor and profit...hmmm.

Maybe retrofitting costs more but that is a suspiciously big difference. Try getting an estimate from another DME if you can.

Well $4,500 for the seat elevator is the cost the wheelchair vendor I've used for a while gave me. I wonder how much of that figure is for labor and profit...hmmm.
    Get a new vendor.