Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Issues

Wheelchair Issues

Hi all... Just wondering if others faced similar issues. Is your wheelchair sitting height a big focus of concern?

It may sound trivial to some but sitting so low, especially near standing people who are tallish, and having to look up (and not be eye to eyes unless the person is sitting) really gets on my nerves.

My new power chair is driving me nuts...it sits about two inches lower than my old chair and can't be raised. This annoys the hell out me...I feel "shorter" and now transfers into bed are harder. Grrr

I feel the opposite about my seating height. I like to be lower and feel like I'm in the chair rather than on the chair. I'm used to being shorter than everyone in the room so the eye to eye issue doesn't bother me. I command the eye to eye part in other ways. The transfer part would be a concern though. I took my box springs off of my bed and laid a sheet of ply wood down and put my matteress on top of that. Made the transfer much better. Hope you find some resolution soon.
    My concern with my chair right now is figuring out how to adjust my dump or anything else that will help my knees stay together better.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Not being eye to eye is very difficult for me to adjust to, annoying really. Recently at a high school reunion I was most comfortable and felt better accepted by those who remained seated or sat to talk.

The problem is that with higher seats, the user cannot fit under some tables etc, and it messes with the COG. In order to not be too tippy the wheels have to be set back. Then you cannot get a good push stroke.

I am loving the seat elevator in my Permobil. Being able to elevate really increases access as well as socialization. However, when I elevate it around people it always leads to a discussion of the "marvels of technology." There is no way to win. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I tend to back up from people when they are talking to me so the angle of elevation is smaller.

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    The problem is that with higher seats, the user cannot fit under some tables etc, and it messes with the COG. In order to not be too tippy the wheels have to be set back. Then you cannot get a good push stroke.

I am loving the seat elevator in my Permobil. Being able to elevate really increases access as well as socialization. However, when I elevate it around people it always leads to a discussion of the "marvels of technology." There is no way to win. lol
    Do you know how high it goes, say front seat height? And what model is it? I could look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Do you know how high it goes, say front seat height? And what model is it? I could look it up.
    I have the Permobil M300 3G. The seat platform is 18.5" from the floor and the elevator will raise it another 8". I am tall and that puts me high enough to look over some adults.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I have the Permobil M300 3G. The seat platform is 18.5" from the floor and the elevator will raise it another 8". I am tall and that puts me high enough to look over some adults.
    It sounds good for negotiating,intimidation.
    Last edited by nonoise; 10-11-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: clarity

The STF height on the both the C300 and M300 with Corpus 3G seating is 17.5" @ 0 degrees tilt.

On my new Invicare TDX SP the seat to floor height is 18.5...I guess I'll have to get used to this height...it's just that I was used to being higher in my old Invicare. It's all frustrating and depressing because once you have a chair you're basically stuck with it for several years (depending on your funding source of insurance or private pay).
    I'm thinking about getting the seat elevation motor added...it may be pricey but still worth it.

Ugh...it's too late now but the Permobile M300 w/ the elevating seat looks great...I'm jealous.