Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pics and vids of my new hkafo braces

pics and vids of my new hkafo braces

Hey everyone. Im a C6 incomplete 20 months post injury. I regained dull sensation every where, some movement in my legs thats not strong enough to be functional, my core seems to be getting better lately, 45lbs grip left hand, 15lbs right hand.

I got hkafo braces made up a couple weeks ago and have been going to pt 2 times a week using them. Now I can get into them and up with a walker by myself. Its such a good feeling being up and able to move around compared to my standing frame. Here are some pics and videos of my progress in them so far. Any tips? I already feel so much better and stable in them after 3 sessions. We are meeting with the guys that built them next week because I cant lock/unlock the hips by myself. It even gives the therapist trouble.

My first time using them sept 19th with a forearm walker. Video-
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

My second time in them on sept 27th using a regular walker with wheels on the front. Video -
    picture -

My 3rd time using them oct 5th. video-
    picture-

Standing next to my parents... It feels good to be 5' 11" again
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Great job!

You look great! Keep working at it!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Wills, you are really looking good! Your posture is excellent in the photos (can't see your video on my ancient Mac G4 laptop). You clearly have excellent support from your parents, PTs and orthotists, too. You have had a lot of return and I wish you all the best in the future!

I don't know you, but your smile says it all. Very cool man. Congrats!

I actually do have a couple of tips. Squats, lots of squats even if you can't do them. Stretch, stretch, stretch. I constantly work on your balance both static and dynamic at every level. Balance is so huge and we are jacked for sure. I worked on my strength and that was important, but I let those lower back muscles get weak and now I am back tracking. I have gone from wheelchair to walker to crutches so those balance musles were never challenged. Make sure you leave enough energy to work on balance so you are able to take advantage of the strength. Good luck!
    Oh yea. Get back in the kitchen. Cooking is great exercise and therapy. At least it is for me.

Smile

looking great so happy for you

Thanks everybody.
    They have been gone for the past 2 weeks getting some changes made to them where I was getting red marks. After that I have pt with them 2 more weeks and then I get to bring them home.
    The only other problem we are having with them is unlocking the hips when I go to sit down. At this point its easier for me to just undo the velcro strap around my abs and sit/fall back like that.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

That is solid bro. All this looks interesting/promising. Cant imagine how thankful your muscle's and bone's are, good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Wills77 View Post
    Thanks everybody.
    They have been gone for the past 2 weeks getting some changes made to them where I was getting red marks. After that I have pt with them 2 more weeks and then I get to bring them home.
    The only other problem we are having with them is unlocking the hips when I go to sit down. At this point its easier for me to just undo the velcro strap around my abs and sit/fall back like that.
    That is exactly my problem with mine. The button to release the hips is so tiny I cannot find it...glad to see I am not the only one with this issue!

Congrats on being tall again! Keep up the awesome work!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss