Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Obsession a Form of Insanity?

Is Obsession a Form of Insanity?

So, first let me say, YIPPEE! My new DME (fired the old one Friday) contacted Jeff about an ICON demo today. So finally, the ball is rolling again. I can't wait to try the ICON out!! It may take awhile still so I am sure there will be many more hours of obsessing to be had; hopefully I don't go completely insane before this is all over.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Clinically, obsession is a mental illness, known as an anxiety disorder.

"An obsession is a persistent (continuous) and recurring thought that a person is unable to control. A person suffering from obsessive thoughts often has symptoms of anxiety (uneasiness or dread) or emotional distress. To relieve this anxiety, a person may resort to compulsive behavior. A compulsion is an irresistible impulse or desire to perform some act over and over. Examples of compulsive behavior are repetitive hand washing or turning a light on and off again and again to be certain it is on or off.

Although performing the specific act relieves the tension of the obsession, the person feels no pleasure from the action. On the contrary, the compulsive behavior combined with the obsession cause a great deal of distress for the person. The main concern of psychiatrists and therapists who treat people with obsessions is the role those obsessions play in a mental illness called obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Hopefully you won't go insane or start compulsive behaviors while waiting. I hope when you get a chance to try this chair it meets all your needs and expectations.
    I think about getting a new chair kind of like being a little kid waiting until Christmas when I can ride my shiny, new bike.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

Hopefully you won't go insane or start compulsive behaviors while waiting. (tease) I hope when you get a chance to try this chair it meets all your needs and expectations.
    I think about getting a new chair kind of like being a little kid waiting until Christmas when I can ride my shiny, new bike.

All the best,
    GJ
    LOL GJ!! Would compulsive behaviors include visiting the ICON website and their FB page multiple times a day?

I agree with the Christmas analogy. The only difference is with Christmas the only lost sleep was on Christmas Eve... I lay awake at night thinking about the ICON and viewing it in regards to some explanation SCI_OT has given in some unrelated post.

If it does not meet my expectations I think I will have to crawl in bed and cry for a few days :P

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    LOL GJ!! Would compulsive behaviors include visiting the ICON website and their FB page multiple times a day?

I agree with the Christmas analogy. The only difference is with Christmas the only lost sleep was on Christmas Eve... I lay awake at night thinking about the ICON and viewing it in regards to some explanation SCI_OT has given in some unrelated post.

If it does not meet my expectations I think I will have to crawl in bed and cry for a few days :P

E
    Uh-oh...are we going down a Grommet path here...?!?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=189716
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

E, I too plan way in advance. When AB I would shop major purchases (e.g., car) for one-two years before actually purchasing. I'm already iteratively filling out TiLite order forms for my next chair (3+ yrs away); I'm also tweaking my AeroZ to make sure. I enjoy thinking things through and eventually settling in on what I really want. Part of what I do is imagine using what I'm going to purchase in detail - I frequently discover some valuable insight. I make notes.

After the purchase I'm neither surprised by nor suffer buyer's remorse because I've thought through the details. Yes, I'm a bit obsessive, it irritates some, but it's fruitful for me.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Oh trust me Gordy1, I read all about Grommet's experience (broke my heart... tear)and I, without a doubt, have Grommet Fever.

@Chas... me too... to the great amusement of my husband. I want to study the physics of everything in various scenarios. As geeky as it sounds, almost all of my electives as a Chem major were ME and Physics classes.

Ahh . . . we with engineering brains . . . my wife is artistic. She is the idea person; I am the make-it-work person - we make a great team. Our history is full of projects together.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I have definitely become quite obsessive about trying to get a new chair for my husband. Good to hear I am not alone in this, because I was starting to get a bit worried. I check CareCure equipment before my work e-mail some days.

Last night I even dreamed about something about an ADI seat base with fold down sideguards flying out of a chair -- I mean literally, like birds fly! Kind of a cool dream though, because my husband says he often dreams about flying since he has not been able to walk. I hope that is a good sign.

We are now about 6 months officially into the process of starting paperwork to get an ultralight chair and power add-on. I started research quite a few months before that lurking on this site. I'm waiting on pins and needles for the approval that is suppose to come any day now. With any luck we will have at least the new chair by the end of the year.

What I obsess the most about is that I missed something important, or misunderstood something completely that was said on these forums (already did that a few times). I also worry about missing an opportunity that is a life changer, that comes out right after we order a new chair.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I have definitely become quite obsessive about trying to get a new chair for my husband. Good to hear I am not alone in this, because I was starting to get a bit worried. I check CareCure equipment before my work e-mail some days.

Last night I even dreamed about something about an ADI seat base with fold down sideguards flying out of a chair -- I mean literally, like birds fly! Kind of a cool dream though, because my husband says he often dreams about flying since he has not been able to walk. I hope that is a good sign.

We are now about 6 months officially into the process of starting paperwork to get an ultralight chair and power add-on. I started research quite a few months before that lurking on this site. I'm waiting on pins and needles for the approval that is suppose to come any day now. With any luck we will have at least the new chair by the end of the year.

What I obsess the most about is that I missed something important, or misunderstood something completely that was said on these forums (already did that a few times). I also worry about missing an opportunity that is a life changer, that comes out right after we order a new chair.
    LOL.... I had an ICON dream last night. Today's obsession: seat depth (and solid backs) and front wing.
    E

My obsession this week is also seating. Have you made the decision to definitely go with an Icon? Are you getting pretty close to order time? We had considered it, but needing to foot propel was a problem with the front wing.

(oops) Just saw what you wrote about demo'ing the Icon soon. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    LOL.... I had an ICON dream last night. Today's obsession: seat depth (and solid backs) and front wing.
    E
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).