Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping with a suprapubic catheter

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    Try connecting your supra-pubic cath to a night bag...then have the excess slack tubing laid on the bed next to you in a loop so the urine can flow smoothly.
    Thank you, I think this might be the best option. I tried using tape last night, and woke up dry for the first time in ages... thought my problem was solved. After getting up, however, I quickly started leaking, and it appeared that more of my catheter tubing was exposed than what is normal. I pushed it in a bit, changed, and went about my day, only to continue leaking. The catheter had come out, which has never happened since having it placed a year ago. I'm thinking perhaps the tape didn't allow for enough slack, because my legs are so active, although I'm not sure how it managed to do it's job while I slept only to come out upon rising. I will try attaching a night bag and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Are you putting enough liquid in the balloon? I wouldn't think it would come out so easily? Do you get any dysreflexia with it? I have a suprapubic too, and if mine gets pulled, I instantly start getting dysreflexic.

"wheelman21" brings up a good point, balloon inflation. This question comes up from time to time. If the catheter package says 5cc balloon, you use 10cc of liquid to fill the balloon.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Are you putting enough liquid in the balloon? I wouldn't think it would come out so easily? Do you get any dysreflexia with it? I have a suprapubic too, and if mine gets pulled, I instantly start getting dysreflexic.

No, I've never had symptoms of dysreflexia. My home healthcare nurse was just here to replace the catheter, and was unable to insert it. She called my urologist, and apparently once a suprapubic catheter comes out, the channel begins to close quite rapidly. She is coming back with a size 12 catheter to tide me over, and if she can't get that in I'll have to go to the ER. I think you're right about the balloon not being inflated enough, as does my nurse. She doesn't think the tape was in any way a factor... just a coincidence.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    "wheelman21" brings up a good point, balloon inflation. This question comes up from time to time. If the catheter package says 5cc balloon, you use 10cc of liquid to fill the balloon.

All the best,
    GJ

My home healthcare nurse has actually brought this up on more than one occasion. We use an 18 FR catheter with a 5cc balloon, and my nurse has said, as you did, that she typically uses 10cc of liquid to fill such a balloon. My urologist, however, has ordered only 4cc, so we comply with that order. It has worked out fine up until this morning, although I will note that my nurse is never able to retrieve the full 4cc when deflating the balloon to change my catheter. She usually gets half that amount, and has no explanation as to why this is. When my catheter came out this morning the balloon was fully deflated. She was able to insert the 12 FR catheter this afternoon, and put the regular 4cc in the balloon. I will call my urologist in the morning to find out the next step, which I assume will be an appointment to enlarge the opening/channel in order to reintroduce a larger catheter. I will speak with her about the possibility of putting more cc's in the balloon as well. The thing that vexes me, though, is that I haven't been leaking during the day, only at night, which leads me to believe that it is more of an issue with the tubing getting kinked than improper balloon inflation, although that might be responsible for it slipping out this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptarzan80 View Post
    My home healthcare nurse has actually brought this up on more than one occasion. We use an 18 FR catheter with a 5cc balloon, and my nurse has said, as you did, that she typically uses 10cc of liquid to fill such a balloon. My urologist, however, has ordered only 4cc, so we comply with that order. It has worked out fine up until this morning, although I will note that my nurse is never able to retrieve the full 4cc when deflating the balloon to change my catheter. She usually gets half that amount, and has no explanation as to why this is. When my catheter came out this morning the balloon was fully deflated. She was able to insert the 12 FR catheter this afternoon, and put the regular 4cc in the balloon. I will call my urologist in the morning to find out the next step, which I assume will be an appointment to enlarge the opening/channel in order to reintroduce a larger catheter. I will speak with her about the possibility of putting more cc's in the balloon as well. The thing that vexes me, though, is that I haven't been leaking during the day, only at night, which leads me to believe that it is more of an issue with the tubing getting kinked than improper balloon inflation, although that might be responsible for it slipping out this morning.
    Are you taking any anticholinergic medications: oxybutynin, Enablex, Toviaz, Ditropan, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Vesicare, Detrol, Sanctura. These medications help reduce bladder spasms. For whatever reason, you may be getting more bladder spasms at night than during the day. The spasms can cause leakage.

Here is a Bard reference to inflation and deflation of a foley catheter.
    http://www.bardmedical.com/Resources...DownPoster.pdf

You might want to print this and take it to your urologist and ask why she prefers under inflating the balloon, contrary to Bard recommendations. She may say that a smaller balloon causes less irritation. If that is the case, maybe she could prescribe a catheter with a smaller balloon that you can inflate properly rather than under inflating a larger balloon.

If the balloon is properly inflated, it takes a good deal of force to pull the catheter out of the stoma and there will be shearing and tearing of the skin and bladder wall. If you could feel the catheter coming out in this way, it would be very painful. In your situation that pain would be indicated by autonomia (AD). The catheter that came out last night was greatly under inflated and just slipped out of the stoma, just as if it had been deflated before a regular removal to change catheters.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Are you taking any anticholinergic medications: oxybutynin, Enablex, Toviaz, Ditropan, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Vesicare, Detrol, Sanctura. These medications help reduce bladder spasms. For whatever reason, you may be getting more bladder spasms at night than during the day. The spasms can cause leakage.

Here is a Bard reference to inflation and deflation of a foley catheter.
    http://www.bardmedical.com/Resources...DownPoster.pdf

You might want to print this and take it to your urologist and ask why she prefers under inflating the balloon, contrary to Bard recommendations. She may say that a smaller balloon causes less irritation. If that is the case, maybe she could prescribe a catheter with a smaller balloon that you can inflate properly rather than under inflating a larger balloon.

If the balloon is properly inflated, it takes a good deal of force to pull the catheter out of the stoma and there will be shearing and tearing of the skin and bladder wall. If you could feel the catheter coming out in this way, it would be very painful. In your situation that pain would be indicated by autonomia (AD). The catheter that came out last night was greatly under inflated and just slipped out of the stoma, just as if it had been deflated before a regular removal to change catheters.

All the best,
    GJ
    The link didn't load properly, but I will read up on it before speaking with my urologist. I do take Enablex, but bladder spasms still might be the issue, as you suggested, although I don't understand why they would be worse while I'm sleeping (as it is I only sleep about 4 hrs). At the time of my catheter placement last November, I was also given a Botox injection into my bladder, which my urologist said typically lasts between six and nine months, so it's entirely possible that it's time for another treatment. I just assumed that I would be leaking throughout the day if that was the case, because my bladder was extremely spasmodic before I had the initial injection.

Thank you Katja, although I don't know why the link I posted wouldn't load, they look the same.

All the best,
    GJ