Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sleeping with a suprapubic catheter

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Thank you Katja, although I don't know why the link I posted wouldn't load, they look the same.

All the best,
    GJ
    No worries. The forum software shortens the appearance of long links, substituting the ellipsis (...). If you hover over the link with your mouse, depending on your browser, you'll see the real link.

If you cut and paste a link with the ellipsis, the link won't be correct, because some of the letters will be missing, replaced with dots.

I haven't spoken directly with my urologist yet, but have corresponded with her nurse. Apparently they like to only inflate the balloon to 4cc because inflating it to the full ten causes irritation and discomfort for most. When I had a foley catheter I required 30cc. I have an appointment next Monday to be dilated, in order to allow a 16 or 18FR catheter to pass through. At that time I will have a urine culture, and if that comes back clear, I will have my second Botox injection, which I am due for anyhow. The nurse is aware that I am only leaking when I lay down, and I assume I would be leaking constantly throughout the day if it was due to a UTI or spastic bladder, as I've dealt with both those issues and know what to expect. All she could say is that she's merely relaying info from the doc. I did try the tape again, to no avail, and will give the night bag a go. I know it has to do with positioning (and I'm diligent about checking the tubing to make sure it's not kinked), because when I sleep in my recliner on occasion I don't leak.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Ptarzan80 View Post
    I haven't spoken directly with my urologist yet, but have corresponded with her nurse. Apparently they like to only inflate the balloon to 4cc because inflating it to the full ten causes irritation and discomfort for most. When I had a foley catheter I required 30cc. I have an appointment next Monday to be dilated, in order to allow a 16 or 18FR catheter to pass through. At that time I will have a urine culture, and if that comes back clear, I will have my second Botox injection, which I am due for anyhow. The nurse is aware that I am only leaking when I lay down, and I assume I would be leaking constantly throughout the day if it was due to a UTI or spastic bladder, as I've dealt with both those issues and know what to expect. All she could say is that she's merely relaying info from the doc. I did try the tape again, to no avail, and will give the night bag a go. I know it has to do with positioning (and I'm diligent about checking the tubing to make sure it's not kinked), because when I sleep in my recliner on occasion I don't leak.
    If the inflation of the balloon that your urologist recommended isn't working for you, there is nothing that says you can't experiment on your own with levels of inflation of the balloon that work best for you. There are many of us on Care Cure Community who manage our bladders with suprapubic catheters and routinely inflate the balloon to the recommended 10cc with out irritation. Take what your urologists says as a guideline and customize that to what works for you.

All the best,
    GJ

I use a size 18 Releen cath in my suprapubic, the balloon is inflated with 10 cc and I've never had a problem.
    I hook up to a night bag, it's great, I just let the tubing hang over the side of the bed and sit the bag in a bucket in case of 'accidents' like leaving the bag valve open by mistake!

Ptarzan80, i hang my bedside bag on my brake handle at night. i sleep on my side and place the hose in a loop on the bed beside me. if i slide down, turn or reposition myself i check the hose to make sure it's not kinked or anything.

hope this helps ya.....

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    Ptarzan80, i hang my bedside bag on my brake handle at night. i sleep on my side and place the hose in a loop on the bed beside me. if i slide down, turn or reposition myself i check the hose to make sure it's not kinked or anything.

hope this helps ya.....
    I'm pretty diligent about making sure the tubing isn't kinked, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I am definitely going to try a bedside bag tonight and see if that makes any difference. Thank you!

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

I'd go with what gjnl said and experiment to see what works for you. I only fill mine to 6cc. I'm really carefull with my suprapubic so it's only been pulled a few times, but in those times it seems to be in there securely. So 6cc is working for me. But everybody is different.

Two nights of using a bedside bag, and still leaking. No issues so far with the 4cc balloon. Will just have to wait and see what I learn at the urologist's office on Monday.

I secure the end of the Foley a little to the inside of my thigh with 3" 3M DuraPore cloth tape, at a place where it almost tugs the catheter when my leg is splayed when lying. This also puts the leg bag extension slightly inside my leg and down to the leg-bag so it isn't a noticeable line on the top of my pants. I wear a 32oz laytex bag 24/7 except when showering (when it is also being disinfected)
    One night I awoke from a terrifying dream-some monster had been holding me down and I fought to get free. Slowly situational awareness crept in-the bed was wet. The light came on and I discovered what looked like an opium poppey beside me. I must have gotten my arm trapped under the cath and pulled it out! I couldn't believe that ballon could be pulled through the little stoma, but it can. (no problem-I change my cath monthy and always have a spare around and in my car in case I get a blockage)
    With this setup, it's nearly impossible to kink the plumbing.
    PS: I inflate to 10cc

I would say your 4 cc inflation is the problem.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager