Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping with a suprapubic catheter

Sleeping with a suprapubic catheter

What do folks do to keep their catheter tubing from becoming kinked while sleeping? I had a suprapubic catheter placed almost a year ago, and since then, I wake up wet 9 mornings out of 10. Not such a nice way to start each day, and my skin certainly isn't liking it, either. Is there a trick that I'm just not aware of? I typically sleep on my back, but I know my legs are active during the night because they're in all sorts of positions when I wake up. Thanks.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Are you securing the catheter with a securement device, or at least tape? This will help prevent both kinking as well as pistoning or even accidental dislodgment. A device like the StatLock Foley does a good job of this.

or like these:

Next best is a leg strap type securement device:

Also, you do need to keep the bag and tubing properly positioned...with the bag below the level of your bladder, and the tubing above the level of the bag.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Ptarzan80 View Post
    What do folks do to keep their catheter tubing from becoming kinked while sleeping? I had a suprapubic catheter placed almost a year ago, and since then, I wake up wet 9 mornings out of 10. Not such a nice way to start each day, and my skin certainly isn't liking it, either. Is there a trick that I'm just not aware of? I typically sleep on my back, but I know my legs are active during the night because they're in all sorts of positions when I wake up. Thanks.
    I was taught to tape it up to my abdomen at night, has worked well for 23 years.
    ^^(A)^^

Go slowly with the tape or a Statlock device. I still have scars from "adhesive burns" that I got right after I had my suprapubic catheter placed. Two days after the catheter was placed, I began to notice redness around the edges of the Statlock. We followed the directions and used alcohol to try to release the adhesive. When that didn't work and seemed to make things worse we used baby oil and warm water soaks. Finally, the Statlock came of and I had a patch of blisters the exact shape of the Statlock. It took weeks to heal.

Statlocks are pretty pricey ($4-$5+), so you probably won't want change these everyday either. I can't even use Micropore paper tape. I have used the thigh strap, but it is probably not as effective as one of the adhesive methods. The thigh strap has a tendency to move up and down on the thigh, moving the catheter with it. I wear pretty snug fitting underwear and have been able to tape the catheter to my underwear which protects my skin and does a fair job of stabilizing the catheter.

All the best,
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I just put a night bag on, let the tube run over the side of the bed and put the bag in a bucket in case it leaks.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks so much for all the replies. I do wear a securement device on my thigh day and night, as pictured in the third image. This seems to be of no benefit keeping the tubing in place while I sleep. I have to wear absorbent bandages around the opening on my stomach, as it still drains, and the various tapes I've used (the ones that actually stick, anyway) do tend to irritate my skin, but probably not any more so than the urine. I guess it's a matter of opting for the lesser of two evils, so I'll give it a go. Thanks again for your help everyone.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

The nursing center I spent a month at used one of the thigh wraps the first night for my urethral foley. I woke up because it was making that leg go nuts. Then they tried a statlock tape and I had problems like JG. I finally convinced them that if they just left the leg bag on instead of changing to a night bag and used the regular tape during the day and nothing at night. Emptied the bag after 4 or 5 hours when I was turned. No more problems. Is the problem your catheter placement or switching to a nightbag and its tubing?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    The nursing center I spent a month at used one of the thigh wraps the first night for my urethral foley. I woke up because it was making that leg go nuts. Then they tried a statlock tape and I had problems like JG. I finally convinced them that if they just left the leg bag on instead of changing to a night bag and used the regular tape during the day and nothing at night. Emptied the bag after 4 or 5 hours when I was turned. No more problems. Is the problem your catheter placement or switching to a nightbag and its tubing?

I had a foley catheter previously, and leaking was an issue from time to time, but nothing like since having the suprapubic placed. I don't switch over to a night bag; I wear the same leg bag continuously until my catheter is changed (every 4 weeks). Clearly the tubing is getting kinked while I'm sleeping, because I don't have this problem during the day. I've never used anything to secure the catheter aside from the device I mentioned before. I guess it's time to give the tape a try.

i sleep on my side with a pillow b/n my legs, alternating sides every other night. this reduces leg spasms and my sp tube is hooked to a tube that drains over the side into a bucket so i can drink as much water as i want.

Try connecting your supra-pubic cath to a night bag...then have the excess slack tubing laid on the bed next to you in a loop so the urine can flow smoothly.