Thread: Retrofit ti unitine forks to a zra 1?

Retrofit ti unitine forks to a zra 1?

Has anyone attempted to redtrofit an zra 1 with the unitine forks offered on the newer model zra 2? Is there a difference in size? I.e. Caster shaft bearing i.d., caster fork berrel o.d., etc. Just wanting to upgrade my zra 1 with some newer technology. Don't have the proper insurance or funds to purchase a new zra 2.

check out this thread - http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=200959 - post #4, sez no because the fork stems are different. I'm quoting that person, so don't quote me, but he apparently heard it straight from Ti.

Why not just put some nice Frog Leg (non-suspension) uni-tine forks and 1.4" wide casters on? - http://www.sportaid.com/frog-legs-un...air-forks.html way more economical and available in a variety of colors, not to mention they are a far smoother ride.

i am the one tooley is referring to, but my post was in regards to using slipstreams on titanium forks stems for standard wide forks (tilite zr series 2).

before i swapped my standard wide forks out for uni-tines i was looking at using slipstreams. contacted tilite and here is the reply from 9/18/12:

"As far as the slip stream fork, you wouldn’t be able to change as the fork requires a different stem. I hope this helps and if you need additional information please let me know.
    -Mark"

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    check out this thread - http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=200959 - post #4, sez no because the fork stems are different. I'm quoting that person, so don't quote me, but he apparently heard it straight from Ti.

Why not just put some nice Frog Leg (non-suspension) uni-tine forks and 1.4" wide casters on? - http://www.sportaid.com/frog-legs-un...air-forks.html way more economical and available in a variety of colors, not to mention they are a far smoother ride.
    so the frog leg uni-tines will exchange on a zra 1?

Having never done it myself (no longer have a Ti) I can't say for certain rollin. But I would put money down that the "standard" forks Ti uses on all its chairs could be swapped easily - I know users here who have done both their ZR1 and ZR2 without having to swap fork stem bolts. Your ZRa should be no different.

Keep in mind there is 2 versions of the Uni-tines - one without swivel bearings, and the other for use with chair's like Ti's have bearings in the fork itself. When ordering from sportaid they will want to know what type of chair and caster barrel height to ensure you get the right ones.

Best thing about uni-tines - no fork spacers to drop and have roll under the couch while cleaning hair from your bearings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    so the frog leg uni-tines will exchange on a zra 1?
    Yep, piece of cake. I unbolted the TI standard fork and replaced it with the FL unitine. Took about 5 minutes per fork.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Having never done it myself (no longer have a Ti) I can't say for certain rollin. But I would put money down that the "standard" forks Ti uses on all its chairs could be swapped easily - I know users here who have done both their ZR1 and ZR2 without having to swap fork stem bolts. Your ZRa should be no different.

Keep in mind there is 2 versions of the Uni-tines - one without swivel bearings, and the other for use with chair's like Ti's have bearings in the fork itself. When ordering from sportaid they will want to know what type of chair and caster barrel height to ensure you get the right ones.

Best thing about uni-tines - no fork spacers to drop and have roll under the couch while cleaning hair from your bearings.
    There is also a 3rd type, a variant of the bearing fork. They are not advertised as they were designed for a specific chair years ago.

I have a pair, they will not work on TiLite ZRs directly unless you do some other work to them. To work on ZR 2s you need a specific length fork and the forks that come with stand forks will not work (titanium or standard material). That is for the 3rd type/variant.

Regular Uni-Tines with bearing will bolt directly on TiLite standard fork stems.
    Last edited by pacrossbow; 10-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.