Thread: Loss of Intercostal Nerves and Digestive System

Loss of Intercostal Nerves and Digestive System

How to relate loss of intercostal nerves to functioning of digestive system?
    Does the former affect the working of stomach?

No, intercostal muscles have nothing to do with digestion. They are the muscles between your ribs, and their primary function has to do with chest wall movement for breathing. They are skeletal muscles controlled by somatic (voluntary) nerves.

The stomach and the rest of the digestive tract has smooth muscles that are controlled by autonomic nervous system, some through cranial nerves and some through nerves that first pass down the spinal cord.

(KLD)

Just to add, the stomach is only a "storage bag" and doesn't actually digest anything? Even the acid it contains is only to help kill off any bacteria from the food you digest - as somebody who had his complete stomach removed in June '12 due to cancer I can confirm that although I cant eat the same - my digestion of food has no apparent difference! Hope that helps, J.

The stomach is not only a storage bag, it plays a key role in digesting proteins among other things.

Please refer to academic material (or wikipedia) if you want to know more about how the digestive system of human works.

Quote Originally Posted by james15985 View Post
    Just to add, the stomach is only a "storage bag" and doesn't actually digest anything? Even the acid it contains is only to help kill off any bacteria from the food you digest - as somebody who had his complete stomach removed in June '12 due to cancer I can confirm that although I cant eat the same - my digestion of food has no apparent difference! Hope that helps, J.

Tweez, if you'd rather take the word of wikipedia over the surgeon that saved my life from cancer that's your opinion? i dont doubt "academic material" but i do speak from a first hand knowledge and experience that you know nothing about - so if my opinion is that my digestive system has no noticable difference without having a stomach - which should put Bitpo's mind at ease; then i fail to see the constructive point of your input.

James & Tweez, please take your dispute to PMs.

The stomach has important physiologic functions other than just storage. The acid starts the process of digestion...breaking down food for absorption once the food leaves the stomach and enters the small intestines. It also regulates the movement of food into the intestines so that the intestines are not overwhelmed with a huge amount of food all at once.

The stomach also produces intrinsic factor, a chemical required for your body to use dietary vitamin B12.

People who have had their stomach removed are at risk for pernicious anemia and "dumping" syndrome.

None of this has anything to do with the intercostal muscles.

(KLD)

Intercostal nerves may have nothing to do with the digestive system directly, but the are involved in the Respiratory system (chest/rib expansion and contraction) which indirectly effects the digestive system.

I know this first hand from having my right phrenic nerve damaged, so my right diaphragm is paralyzed, and 5 intercostal nerves on right side transfered for right biceps function.

The diaphragm's expansion & contraction (and the subsequent action the intercostal nervess) essentially "massage" the the principle organs of digestion.