Thread: Can I get away with having separated abdominal muscles??

Can I get away with having separated abdominal muscles??

Does a person really need to have surgery to correct muscles that had been sewn together in a previous operation and are now separating or could said person just let the muscles separate with no other side effects beside horrible pain and not being able to eat solid food? Im guess Im asking because Im tired of having surgery!! Do you think I could get away with never having this fixed and just having torn abdominal muscles??

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Do you mean an abdominal hernia? Many people live with these without having them corrected. The risk is of bowel or other internal organs getting trapped (incarcerated) in the opening between the muscles. If they cannot be reduced, this can cause them to loose blood circulation, and emergency surgery would be needed.

Have you sought at least a second (if not a third) opinion about the need for further surgery?

(KLD)

KLD, No, Im not referring to a hernia. This is why I have the issue with the muscles separating from each other in the first place. I had had a hernia which had been repaired with mesh, I then needed a revision because the mesh had attached to my intestine. During the revision is when the abdominal muscles were sewn together, to correct the hernia.

Yes, I have gone and gotten a second, third, and even fourth opinion and they all have told me surgery would be necessary to correct this so that nothing like strangulation etc would happen. They all said if this wasnt treated, the hernia would return and I could develop those things, etc loss of circulation, if this happens.

Becky
    since 1/3/04

That is what is called a surgical or incisional hernia. Still a hernia with the risks noted above.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    That is what is called a surgical or incisional hernia. Still a hernia with the risks noted above.

(KLD)
    Right, that is what it was called originally as well. So, are you saying not to worry about it even though its causing me so many problems? This would be the 3rd time I would be going to try to have the same hernia rrepaired in 1 year and I just really don't want to have this done.

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Becky, re read...no where does it say in any posts not to worry about it...so, go against what 4 doctors have told you and down the road it will be a real emergency...take a year off and deal with it, I am sorry you are having such a hard time with the pain, and maybe the patch will work for you, if the dose needs to be increased, so be it...you can't continue to do all you are doing...school and student teaching will be there for you when you are healthy...the stress you are dealing with is just not helping...no more excuses, you gotta get healthy!!!

I know nobody didnt directly say to not do it. That is just what !m taking away from the replies. Im sorry if you feel Im making excuses but we are not garunteed tomorrow, the day after and Ive put things on hold before and have ended up not being able to finish them for one reason or another. Yes, I know the stress of my schedule doesnt help which is why Im taking the break Iaking the break I am taking to more then likely have this surgery starting on the 29th of Oct until after the New Year.

Becky
    since 1/3/04

It seems like more and more, medical decisions are of the "damned if you, damned if you don't" variety. Medical science/doctors can't promise anything, yet we patients must often choose between almost equally unpleasant options.

I understand why you are hesitant to have the operation. I guess you could survive without it, so long as you don't develop an excruciating (or even life-threatening) incarceration later on; your body would probably form its own "mesh," composed of adhesions between muscle layers. But in view of your past surgical history related to this hernia, my layperson's surmise is that the operation would have a better chance of working in your favor than doing nothing; maybe only by 10%, but still...

Another thing to consider, is that if you don't have the op and you get worse as a result, doctors might be reluctant to intervene (except in an emergency situation); even your present surgeon might have a problem with continuing as your physician of record, in that scenario.

It's an agonizing decision for you, I know. Nothing to do with SCI is straightforward, and even common procedures can have strange outcomes - your surgical history is a case in point. I empathize! In your shoes, I'd probably have the revision; but I'm not in your shoes. So I wish you wisdom and a deep sense of yourself and your own body - its tolerances and needs - to guide you alongside your surgeon's recommendations as you weigh your options.