Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I'm 2 yrs into the SCI world being told a cure is coming

Quote Originally Posted by ilmx34 View Post
    I am a bit cynical about the progress, I have been reading and hearing for years a cure is around the corner. Then the word funding pops in, you decide?
    I totally agree with ilmax34. Its all about the $$$. Although we have many dedicated doctors and scientists , it is ultimatley about funding. To be quite frank , big corporation are more intersted in funding projects that will guarantee profitability for the next decade or more. To cure a SCI is to loose a patient for life. This will not be profitable for large corporation. Well , with that said , we should still hope , but continue with living life as best possible. 13 Years ago , i was told that a cure will never come , perhaps not in my life time anyway.
    "A CURE IN OUR LIFETIME"

I hate to say it, but there is no evidence to suggest at this point that a cure (by cure I just mean something that would help function substantially, not a cure that can bring you to more or less what you were before SCI) is imminen (by imminant I mean a few years i.e. 5 years)

Yes we have done some research since the 80's and science has progressed, but if anything we just found out that SCI is much harder to cure than it was thought before. I meam we're already at the end of 2012 and we don't even really know how the spinal cord works, so the trial and error is only beginning....

To be honest, I hate hearing the word "cure". You cannot cure this. I think you can definitely get "recovery". As to how long... I honestly don't think about it. I used to, especially during the first couple of years, but now living life has definitely gotten in the way. And that is not a bad thing. There are people who are able to be active in the progress of the research, raising money, advocating, et cetera. To those people, I applaud you. I hope you are the first to be able to have treatments. As for me, I guess I subscribe to the "life is what you make it". Years down the road, if I'm able to get some type of treatment, I will be ecstatic. But I do think there are other people that need it more than me.
    But when it does come... it will definitely be all about the money. You honestly think insurance, especially those people that only have Medicaid, is going to cover something like that? Not in my lifetime.

I think therapies will be developed but a cure is subjective. I would think that their is more money in the Health care and the DME to keep everyone status quo. I am not a conspiracy theorist by any means but I do think that there is not much reason for society as a whole to cure SCI. I believe there is more acceptance but really no one understand it and most think well they are in a wheelchair and seem to be doing pretty good and they are not dying?!

The science of it is interesting but is there money in a cure? I hate the word cancer as it gave me my SCI but you see Society more geared towards curing breast cancer than SCI. I mean on Sundays and watching football we see all teams wearing pink shoes and pink hats and promoting rallies and so forth. How many sports or races do you see that promote a cure for SCI? I had a conversation with some friends and they think that people are not in pain that have SCI because they cannot feel anything. I guess I dont think I will see a cure for SCI in my lifetime and to be honest I dont really care that much anymore since by the time if at all their is a cure my body will be too old to even benefit from it.

Life is different for everyone and now that my brain has caught up with the rest of me I seem to be performing to the level I can at this point. I wish everyone well on their journey and perhaps a cure will come but every 5,10,15 years is another 5,10,15 years every time someone new is injured.

Breathing on one's own is definitely a human right as well as having 2/4 fully functioning limbs. Worth fighting for.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Although predictions are, by definition, imperfect and predictions with less evidence to support the argument are less useful, if there ever is a cure/treatment it will eventually be 5 years after SOME DATE. So to be pessimistic about a cure a few years down the road when science and trials are clearly progressing simply because someone told you "five years" some time ago and was wrong is irrational.

I expected to read a lot more updates on the promising effects of lithium and stem cells on the effed up spinal cord, but so far, nothing. I think the no news is good news theory, proly does not apply to the cure. no news, is no news.

proly bumped us back to the 5-10 estimate.

We are closer.

We are not close.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    To be honest, I hate hearing the word "cure". You cannot cure this. I think you can definitely get "recovery". As to how long... I honestly don't think about it. I used to, especially during the first couple of years, but now living life has definitely gotten in the way. And that is not a bad thing. There are people who are able to be active in the progress of the research, raising money, advocating, et cetera. To those people, I applaud you. I hope you are the first to be able to have treatments. As for me, I guess I subscribe to the "life is what you make it". Years down the road, if I'm able to get some type of treatment, I will be ecstatic. But I do think there are other people that need it more than me.
    But when it does come... it will definitely be all about the money. You honestly think insurance, especially those people that only have Medicaid, is going to cover something like that? Not in my lifetime.
    There's many thoughtful, and probably painfully accurate posts here including this.
    It mirrors the polio thing.
    Polio was prevented, never cured.

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    You honestly think insurance, especially those people that only have Medicaid, is going to cover something like that? Not in my lifetime.

ummmm. . . yeah i do. why wouldn't they cover it?