Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I'm 2 yrs into the SCI world being told a cure is coming

I'm 2 yrs into the SCI world being told a cure is coming

For those who've been injured much longer is this time different than all those times you heard the cure was 3, 5, 10 years away?

I think so. the next 5-10 years are going to be exciting.

Very much so.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    For those who've been injured much longer is this time different than all those times you heard the cure was 3, 5, 10 years away?
    When I was hurt, they gave me the standard 5 year estimate, but no one had a plan and few, if any, were doing real research. Then, in the mid-80's an article came out in Scientific American saying there was almost no chance for a cure. That is when I stopped thinking there could ever be a cure. Next, in the 90s, we started hearing about how stem cells would cure all ailments. However, still no plan.

The next I heard was Dr. Young's 8 year plan. It gave me hope, but not a change in lifestyle. He was doing research, and I've done research. In research, you think you can do anything in 5 years, and sometimes you are wrong about what you can accomplish and how long it will take. However, now we have several doctors talking a "cure", i.e. a significant improvement, and Dr. Young is only weeks away from knowing if he was right.

My suggestion is to plan your life like there will be no cure, then hope you planned wrong.

I believe that you need a reason to get up every morning other than to wait for a cure. Also, if and when a cure comes, it will not magically make you back the way you were before. i.e. SCI is not just a bad dream.

So, try very hard to stay strong physically, mentally, financially, and emotionally. That will make waiting a lot more tolerable and a cure a lot more enjoyable.

I agree khmorgan

I also agree with khmorgan. And like has been said so many times before, what is your definition of "cure" also?

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Ben 10 yrs now and I sill hear the same thing!! I've just learned to LIVE with what I have.

Morgan, you say that Dr Young is only a few weeks away from knowing if he was right. Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by duge View Post
    Ben 10 yrs now and I sill hear the same thing!! I've just learned to LIVE with what I have.
    I do the same thing just live my life to the fullest with what I've been given. I don't wake up every morning dwelling on a cure if it happens great if not good I'm happy and to me that's what is important

Since 1978, always heard within 5 years since then
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan