Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weird sensations

Weird sensations

I've recently been getting strange sensations from the waist down. I can feel that my legs exist, I couldn't before. Also I have this strange sensation that comes and goes in my penis. And anus as well I can feel pressure there. I've been told that it's not neuropathic pain. It doesn't hurt or bother me. Should I be encouraged by all these strange sensations? Btw I'm C6 Inc. One year post.

Sensory return like this is not uncommon. It sounds like you may have anterior cord syndrome, which is an incomplete type of SCI that can allow some preservation of posterior columns in the cord. The posterior columns provide sensory tracts for pressure, vibration, and some position sense. It appears you have some "sacral sparing" due to this.

Have you had a recent SCI neurologic examination (formerly called the ASIA exam)?? This is highly recommended at one year post injury.

(KLD)

Last time I had an exam was in may and I was Asia B.
    I can also tell when someone is stretching my leg Orr when they're spreading my legs wide.

I don't think that it's ACS I've been reading about it. I was C4 first now I'm C7 right side, C6 left.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    I don't think that it's ACS I've been reading about it. I was C4 first now I'm C7 right side, C6 left.
    Why not? You sound pretty classic. Anterior Cord Syndrome (also called Anterior Spinal Artery Syndrome) is the most common incomplete pattern, and occurs nearly exclusively in those with cervical injuries, especially from hyperflexion trauma. What was your mechanism of injury?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Why not? You sound pretty classic. Anterior Cord Syndrome (also called Anterior Spinal Artery Syndrome) is the most common incomplete pattern, and occurs nearly exclusively in those with cervical injuries, especially from hyperflexion trauma. What was your mechanism of injury?

(KLD)
    Car Accident.
    Could this just be normal return of sensation?

P.s. I was labeled complete for about 3-4 months.

Do people with cervical inuries and ACS never recover their trunk muscles?

Anterior cord syndrome is characterized by preservation of posterior column (ie, sensory) function as above. It is rare to have preservation or return of motor function below the level of injury in ACS, but you are still new to the injury, and some motor return is still also possible...often for more than 24 months post injury.

(KLD)

I started recovering my trunk muscles and I've been told that this is very good progress considering I have an upper cervical injury. Would stem cells help in regaining more function/sensory at this time? Or should I wait for more time to pass?