Thread: Wheelchair help

Wheelchair help

Is there anywhere to get wheelchair adjustments/assistance other than our sales rep? My son (age five) is in a demo until his arrives. This is so new to us and I am frustrated by lack of knowledgable resources. We are in Fort Worth Texas.

This site is fairly decent and does have decent people on here who will see your message and attempt to try to help you. Change the default format of the text and things will stick yout better to be noticed. People on here are pretty capable of guiding you step-by-step through questions. Don't be scared to ask. What kind of help are you asking for?

The company called per4max is somwhere close to you. This is a small company that makes sports wheelchairs. I would call them and ask for resources such as equipment and sports for kids in your area. Google them and give them a call. Disability comunity is usually very supportive,

If you also post some pics of your son in his chair along with your questions, we can make more informed suggestions. Pics taken from the side, front, and back from his height with his arms hanging down will be most helpful because we can then see how his chair is fitting.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Blythe716 View Post
    Is there anywhere to get wheelchair adjustments/assistance other than our sales rep? My son (age five) is in a demo until his arrives. This is so new to us and I am frustrated by lack of knowledgable resources. We are in Fort Worth Texas.
    For wheelchair adjustments, I think you are best to start adjusting things yourself (or find a close friend/relative who is interested in helping). Relying on any third party (who will probably charge for everything) isn't going to help in the long term. Don't be afraid to start undoing bolts/screws and moving things a bit (although taking some "before" photos is always a good idea if you don't like the adjustments and want to put it back the way it was!). There are manuals for most chairs on the web, and like people have said here, folk on CC can usually give you an answer to any problem.

From my experience, whatever way a wheelchair rep sets up a chair, further adjustments will be necessary....

For wheelchair assistance, if you are talking about getting your son some help in using his chair better, or ideas on how to improve his chair set-up, see if there is a Wheelchair Sports organization near to where you live. Being around other wheelchair users (and particularly active ones) will increase your son's chair skills very quickly, and the two of you will see different chair types/set-ups etc.

Whatever you do, let us know your son's make of chair (both the demo and the new one), and if you want, post some photos of your son in his chair...you will get lots of suggestions on changing things around then!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.