Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C5 complete son is coming home and I don't know where to start

Great to hear you have this help. I have heard about the nursing home transition program and am glad to hear you can take advantage of this. I have also found the Independent Living programs in our area to be inconsistent at best, but some report very good experiences. Hang on to the one you have found!

You are also learning that persistence leads to better outcomes. Always push... always ask to speak with someone higher up... always ask for more....

Long term, he will probably need a better wheelchair that has been ordered by a very experienced rehab seating clinic that is specifically fitted for him. But glad he at least has something for the interium.

Try Dept of Children and Family Services

Does anyone know what Florida Medicaid and Medicare provides regarding home health?

I know just a little bit...medicare pays nothing unless it is "medically necessary". Baths and eating are activities of daily living and ironically NOT medically necessary. If he needs cathing, has problems with vision where he is unable to give himself insulin shots etc, Medicare will provide some help. My brother lives in the West Palm area and DCF services helped get him on a Medicaid waiver that gave him 4 hours/day with a CNA.

Hope this helps.

Thanks McStargazer.

The Medicaid waiver program through DCF waiting period is about 5 - 7 years right now (according to a Medicaid rep). His case manager at the rehab (she was a useless waste of space) told me he could get vital checks and it might be every other day and very temporary.

My big fear about being his only caregiver is leaving him, getting in an accident, and him sitting/laying there till he finally calls 911 -- if he didn't drop his phone, the battery wasn't dead, etc. These things could still happen -- but if he has another caregiver coming in everyday, the longest he's going to be left in a twisted heap is until that person shows up.

As horrible as the decision was to go to a nursing home -- if this program comes through, and I have no reason to believe it won't -- it'll be a real blessing