Thread: Tilite TR or Aero Z?

Tilite TR or Aero Z?

I am looking to purchase another chair off ebay which chair is better the tilite TR or Aero Z? What are the pros and cons of each? I would appreciate help ASAP.

TR is the Flagship of the TiLite line. But the RSH and FSH cannot be adjusted, so it needs to fit you well. The AeroZ is an aluminum version of the ZRA.

Tilite adult rigid-chair hierarchy:
    TR - titanium box frame, top of the line, little adjustment (K0009)
    ZR - titanium Z frame, less adjustment than even the TR. Great Z frame chair. (K0009)
    ZRA - titanium Z frame, adjustable RSH & FSH (K0009)

AeroZ - aluminum Z Frame, adjustable RSH & FSH (K0005)
    AeroR - aluminum box frame, adjustable RSH & FSH, available w/ swing-away front end (K0005).

TiLite build quality is good for all their chairs. TiLite's first chair was the TR. The rest are made to compete with other manufacturers' lines.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Good info from Chas. But to simplify...

Do not buy a TR or ZR unless you are certain about the specs.

ZRA and Aero Z are excellent choices if you're not exactly sure.

actually, the centre of gravity is continuously adjustable on the tr, and as the cog is the spec most difficult to translate between chairs or guess from scratch, the tr should still be an option. its also one of the most aesthetically pleasing wheelchairs out there (imo). im not a huge fan of the chunky tubing on the zr/aeroz; i think it looks like a childs drawing...

Yes, COG on TR is adjustable. They just want the number when you buy it. When buying, the initial placement of the axle can determine if the frame will be curve or box. Too short of a distance they require you to buy box-frame.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Yes, COG on TR is adjustable. They just want the number when you buy it. When buying, the initial placement of the axle can determine if the frame will be curve or box. Too short of a distance they require you to buy box-frame.
    Not sure what you mean? The TR3 is a "box frame" and has adjustable COG. Having very little COG determines if the bottom tube is rounded or square at the rear of the chair, this is listed in the order form.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Not sure what you mean? The TR3 is a "box frame" and has adjustable COG. Having very little COG determines if the bottom tube is rounded or square at the rear of the chair, this is listed in the order form.
    this is true. theres just a minor discrepancy in what the term 'box' refers to. as above, its the lower frame tube. you will be able to tell from the ebay photo if the chair you are buying has a squared or rounded rear, if square, you will have the full range of cog adjustability available to you. if rounded, the lowest possible would still be very tippy for inexperienced users.

OP is planning to buy from eBay, so the options available when ordering a new chair are virtually irrelevant.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Also, some of the chairs on Ebay have some unusual dimensions. Even the TiLite rep. I once talked with said that about their Ebay sales. If you can't adjust, you could be stuck with a chair that's unusable. I have seen this happen to CareCure members before.

If buying from TiLite/Ebay, you can check the serial number with TiLite to find out when the chair was built and delivered. Some of these chairs are kinda old. (TR1 and such) For older chairs you may have to call them to get this info. I have seen some come-up on their website, though.

I have the ZRA, and I am happy with it. My only problem is the foot plate adjustment and dropping: foot plate drops when I am out pounding dirt and ruts and farmy stuff. You also have to apply some special goop onto the bolts once you need to adjust it back up (the manual says you can loosen the bolts four times before needing to reapply the goop). I bought a set of gorilla grip fold up tools and a rubber mallet, and I marked where the foot plate should be. When it drops, I just spin the bolts and... tap it back into place.

The chair is great though.