Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fed up being able bodies "inspiration"!!!

Fed up being able bodies "inspiration"!!!

Does anyone else out there feel as alone as I do? I am going through a real tough time right now and staying busy, keeping my mind occupied really helps me deal with it. The people in my life I think I would call friends do not really feel like friends right now and this is a recurring feeling that I have over and over again. It seems noone has an interest in me as far as hanging out for talking unless I initiate the first text or phone call. It makes me feel like they're doing it out of pity because if I would never initiate I would never hear from them. I really do believe that too because of the weeks I go with absolutely no interaction unless I initiate.

Every time i happen to see these people they feed me the same bullshit." its so great to see you! Look like you're doing really well! Did you get more return?" now I'm 11 years post injury, haven't seen any changes in recovery in the past 10 and I have also seen these people numerous times since and they say the same damn thing. Then the part that really irritates me is when they finish off with. "Dude, look how much you have accomplished! When I see you, or think of you, I think of how you are such an inspiration to me."

I want to scream "im not f-ing trying to live my life for your benefit (inspiration)! BTW, it would be nice to actually hear from you for once or to have you actually initiate a get together!"

AM I THAT MESSED UP THAT IM THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS THIS WAY?!

I'm sure you're not the only one that feels that way. For me, it's not that way, but most, in fact all, of my friends are ones that I did not know before my accident.
    Are yours new friends, or the same ones?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

My best friend who was there at my accident is the 1 who actually stays in contact with me on a weekly basis. he freaking lives in New York City and has no problem. I would say its maybe half and half. where have you met these people? What activities as a quad do you do?

@krshirk I so hear you! As a matter of fact, I became so tired of it that I had shirts made up that said "Be your own inspiration".

About four years ago I had to have my left leg amputated below the knee. People that do not know me assume I am in a chair because of my amputation and do not seem to have a problem coming up to me and asking what happened. I usually respond by looking them squarely in the eyes and stating, "Dolphins.... friendly my ass!". I also had a gym shirt made up that says, "Leg Story $10".

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Helluva inspiration

"So let me get this straight.

I inspire you to want to go out and break your neck?"
    Doh!

There's a scene in the orginal "Bedazzled" with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook, where Peter (as the devil) tries to explain to Stanley Moon (Dudley) why he got kicked out of heaven.

Peter gets up on a mailbox and says "okay, pretend I'm God,now dance around and adore me"

Stanley does it for awhile, then says, "this gets pretty boring...how about we trade places". Peter says "Exactly".

Next time you "inspire" someone, ask them to trade places....

essie, i like the shirt ideas you seem like a firecracker! i like it!

willingtocope, so peter was kicked out of heaven b/c his attitude was similar to mine? or people should think about what they say before saying it?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    "So let me get this straight.

I inspire you to want to go out and break your neck?"
    Ha! you beat me to it. That is what I always think too!

I love the idea of a t-shirt that says $10.00 to tell my story. I would be rich, very rich.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post

I love the idea of a t-shirt that says $10.00 to tell my story. I would be rich, very rich.
    Like my signature says, "There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots." (BTW, I have that shirt too).

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

I think I might appreciate the "inspiration" comments if they came from people who really made an attempt to understand what living with an sci is like, but what most people actually mean by it is "wow, I am so glad not to be you."