Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new chair, cant get up some ramps.

new chair, cant get up some ramps.

I got this new chair because my ass is actually getting larger and had to switch from my wonderful Kuschall chrome tank to what I thought would be a lighter and more maneuverable chair.

I got a TiLite Aero Z and I love it on flat ground. But for some reason, I cannot seem to get up the short ramps that are like curb cuts and such in parking lots, you know the kind that are less than three feet long and cut up to the sidewalk level from say a parking lot or just a lump of cement they put in as an afterthought. I feel like I am going to tip over backwards and I just can't push up the damn things.

I have no trouble getting up a longer ramp, but have had to ask strangers to push me up these hellish little faker ramps that seem to be everywhere I need to go.

My new chair has a shorter wheelbase from the casters to the rear wheels and is a 90 degree angle like my old Kushall. Could this be the problem?

Help!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I got this new chair because my ass is actually getting larger and had to switch from my wonderful Kuschall chrome tank to what I thought would be a lighter and more maneuverable chair.

I got a TiLite Aero Z and I love it on flat ground. But for some reason, I cannot seem to get up the short ramps that are like curb cuts and such in parking lots, you know the kind that are less than three feet long and cut up to the sidewalk level from say a parking lot or just a lump of cement they put in as an afterthought. I feel like I am going to tip over backwards and I just can't push up the damn things.

I have no trouble getting up a longer ramp, but have had to ask strangers to push me up these hellish little faker ramps that seem to be everywhere I need to go.

My new chair has a shorter wheelbase from the casters to the rear wheels and is a 90 degree angle like my old Kushall. Could this be the problem?

Help!
    Might it be that the center of gravity is set too far forward? Just a thought.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Sounds like gravity. Are you able to lean your upper body forward and still operate the wheels to go up? That would help COG without any mechanical change to the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Sounds like gravity. Are you able to lean your upper body forward and still operate the wheels to go up? That would help COG without any mechanical change to the chair.
    No amount of leaning makes me feel safe. I just sort of dead stop on the ramps and cannot get to the top.

You might be right about the COG. I had it set for all the weight to be on the front of my old Kuschall. I just felt better about it. The trouble with my new chair is that there is less 'front' on this chair. The tubing on the Kuschsall extended about an inch or so farther than my seat pan because I needed the extra protection for my legs. My old chair was a good battering ram for doors.

I agree (fwiw); sounds like a CoG issue to me.

I can propel my AeroZ1 up ADA ramps just fine and up curb cuts with some effort, but have just ordered a set of MagicWheels to help me navigate the long, steep hills in my neighborhood. If adjusting the CoG doesn't help you, consider MWs. They let me try a set free for two weeks to see if I liked them.

When I installed the trial MWs, I had to move my axle back, or I'd go over backwards on the hills I was climbing.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

COG. I almost never biffed backwards in my kuschall. Seems I'm always bashing my cranium since its premature death. It sucks tho, moving it back will make it harder to push.

Thanks everyone. I thought it might be something simple and I I'll try to adjust tomorrow. I really don't like my new chair very much but I just feel so ungrateful. I know there are others who would kill to have a nice chair like this.

I agree, it sounds like a center of gravity issue and I doubt you'll be able to adjust it enough due to the design of the chair. You can add anti-tippers though. I just go up backwards when it gets tough or too tippy.

Your placement of hands on the wheel to propel will also change COG and other things. Do you wear a seat belt?

Another thing that could help without any mechanical adjustment is "playing/adjusting" your overall lenght of 1 single stroke of your arms on the wheels to something shorter. The shorter distance should provide more stability bur will require more strokes to go the same distance.