Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best states to live in w/ a disability?

Quote Originally Posted by alflyhigh View Post
    Anyone have experience living in California or Hawaii? Northern Ca.(Redding area)
    I can't speak for Hawaii, but the answer to your california question is on page 1 of this thread. It basically says STAY AWAY.

Look into Grand Junction area in CO. I use to live in Glenwood Springs and when we'd get tired of winter we just went there. They don't even have a city snow plow.Vineyards, fruit orchards with the best peaches in the world. Skiing, camping, fishing up the hill on the Grand Mesa. Hour away from Moab, the off road play ground. Big enough city to have modern services. Small enough to get around. Only problem with it could be flying in and out. THere is an airport, but don't know how good the connections are. Only real problem with CO is its expensive to live there.

Colorado

We live in Texas and you would have access to medicaid more than likely. But to maximize that you would be to also enroll in a waiver program. Those waiting lists are years long. I've spoken to a couple in Colorado who have seven attendants! He's c5/c6 any uses a manual chair! And they were actually able to legally get married and keep the state health insurance. That would not happen in Texas if the spouse worked.

I am currently living in NJ and I think the programs here are great. There are two types of medicaid in NJ. Regular medicaid and long term care which they called Global Option. I've been on Global Option from the beginning. I don't think there's a waiting list. I remember going to the Social Service Office and applied with the routine documentations. 2 weeks later they sent out a nurse to evaluation my condition and to see what I will need help with. We covered all the bases and they signed me up with an inhome care agency. They gave me 15 hrs/wk at the beginning. They assigned me a case manager and she comes to visit several times a yr to see if there's any changes. She has cut my hours back to 11 hrs/wk now and have been informing me since I am able to drive they will take that into consideration on keeping me or cutting me off the program.
    Anyways, NJ started the HMO this year. If you're on medicaid you will have to choose between several providers; Horizon, United Healthcare, etc. These providers will handle all of your medical needs. I went with Horizon and they also assigned me a nurse/case manager who's responsible for all of the authorizations. She would call to check up on me several times a yr. NJ medicaid also cover dental which is a plus. I had 2 root canal done and some crowns and didn't have to pay anything.
    I am thinking of moving to New Mexico but will have to think twice because of the benefits.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DexRex View Post
    Well, I've spoken to a few state agencies and it seems that there's waiting periods in the states I'd like to relocate to (AZ & NM), so I'm going to have to rethink my plan.
    Wow, good to know.
    Thanks for the info. NM is on my list.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Wisconsin is pretty good about PCA's, but the weather here is absolutely atrocious.

I live in new york my son was on medicaid waiver until he was 18 and now on medicaid.. this pays for all his med and 16 hours/ day of nursing care The vocational rehab agency has paid for his driving training, in full, paid for attendance 100 % of SUNY college tuition rate and paid his nursing and custoidial care to attend school at the university of Illinois. All told they paid around 110,000 dollars so far not including the expected full tuition for SUNY tuition for law schooll which he will start in the fall.

They have subsidised housing in south carolina, and it is warmish here, very little snow, and unless there is a hurricane, hardly any wind. Hot summers. The cost of living seems less for some things. It is difficult to find a Dr who treats sci patients if not near Greenville, or a larger city, However I find that some people do get help with care, and the disability benefits are dependable. There is no state inspection for cars, however a state vehicle tax.
    It is lush and beautiful in most places, with good fishing even for a gimpy person. If I could have my family nearer, things would be just right. I moved to South Carolina about three years ago, after the housing costs in pennsylvania became too high for me to find adequate shelter. I found I am able to afford at least shared housing with my small income. I think in general people are very nice in sc. Georgia seemed nice too, but I dont know much about being disabled there.

OR doesn't have a waitlist, you just need to be physically in the state, then call the local Ageing & People with Disabilities office to do a Medicaid screening.