Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best states to live in w/ a disability?

Best states to live in w/ a disability?

Hi,

I'm relatively new here, but not new to disability... c5 quad about 30 years post injury.

I'm thinking about relocating to somewhere warmer, but I need to find a state that offers personal care helpers through state Medicaid. (Try as I might, I just can't go w/o some help each day.)

Any info on where you live and what services your state provides will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't even think about California. They are cutting our IHSS (In Home Supportive Services) program right and left, with many recent reductions in services and hours. Many politicians are trying to eliminate the program all together. Waiting list for approval have grown spectacularly, and some counties are not even taking new applications. Medicaid (Medi-Cal in CA) is also being cut and what is covered being reduced.

Here is a site that has some information about all state Medicaid programs: http://www.kff.org/medicaid/index.cfm

(KLD)

new england

Vermont and New Hampshire are pretty good in fdy opinion...but the winters are a challenge and the summers paradise!!

I'm also curious about this. We live in Europe, but if healthcare reforms really do happen in 2014 for insurance with pre-existing conditions, we may consider going back the the US.

I've been doing some research, but it is difficult to find state by state comparisions for personal care help (I couldn't find it on the link SCI-Nurse gave).

I would be interested in hearing about what coastal states, that are politically liberal and not too cold, have decent personal care help programs.

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone through the immigration process with a disabled non-working partner -- perhaps that should be another post...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by new dimension View Post
    Vermont and New Hampshire are pretty good in fdy opinion...but the winters are a challenge and the summers paradise!!
    I have to second New Hampshire. With that said, it's an old state with old state accessibility issues. I have a husband and I am small so he carries me if needed but otherwise we would be limited as many of the "small town" shops have no ramps.

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Florida -- Personal Attendant Care Program
    Dan Casady is the Admin and in a w/c
    http://www.doh.state.fl.us/workforce...CAbrochure.pdf

Missouri -- ive heard from same level quads @ rugby tournaments that they get more services / financial help there opposed to here in fl.
    http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C200-299/2080000903.HTM

check out National Council on Independent Living (http://www.ncil.org/) for links to the state level Center for Independent Living in the warm weather states.

good luck

Here is a site (Texas Council For Developmental Disabilities) for some good info on Texas. I live in San Antonio moved here from Chicago, access and getting around town is GREAT for anyone disabled. Being one of the largest military cities in the country with one of the largest rehab facilities make it a very comfortable environment with reasonable cost of living. Even one of my doctors is in a chair here.

http://www.txddc.state.tx.us/index.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    I have to second New Hampshire. With that said, it's an old state with old state accessibility issues. I have a husband and I am small so he carries me if needed but otherwise we would be limited as many of the "small town" shops have no ramps.

E
    Not sure where you are going but most old towns have some sort of ramp to get you in or maybe a back room door. North Conway is the only town that comes to mind but most are only 1-2 steps max.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming!

I live in New England now, and although the services are there, the cold weather isn't cooperating with this quad. Housing here is expensive. Older cities and older buildings aren't always prime canidates for accessibility. But the big thing for me is the weather.

I'm looking for places that are warm and that have decent services (home health aides, etc) for PWD's.

I live alone, so stuff like food shopping is a real adventure in the winter. You can do it if you plan ahead and watch the weather forecasts (hoping they're accurate) but that's getting old. So am I, now that I think of it. Mainly, I'm tired of being cold half the year, tired of worrying about ice and snow, tired of wearing 3 shirts for 5 months, etc. Excessive heat's not tremendously better than excessive cold, but it is better.

Sorry, I was going to post a reply to rcechser but realized (after posting) that it served no benefit to the OP.

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com