Thread: New here, question on bladder issue

New here, question on bladder issue

Hi!! I have an odd issue with my bladder that, after research, sounds alot like a spinal cord issue. At the time, I do NOT have a spinal injury, but wonder about a couple of issues with my spinal cord. I have been diagnosed with cervical stenosis, where on the MRI you can see my C3-C4 impingeing on my cord.

A little background....I developed some dysautonomia issue about 6 years ago, where I get lightheaded standing up. Over time, I've developed odd things that happen whether I am standing or sitting, so don't think it is solely due to the orthostatic issue(I think it is the other way around--my orthostatic issue is related to something deeper). The one odd symptom I get is a "surge", where my heart beats faster and stronger, I get flushed and then it passes.

In the last year, whenever my bladder gets really full, I get this surge. In fact, I don't really notice that I need to go to the bathroom until this surge happens. It took me a year to notice this connection to the full bladder and surges. I looked it up and saw something about SCI patients having adrenaline surges when their bladders are full.

I am wondering about a possible tethered cord. I was born with hip abnormalities and then various curves from scoliosis, and I believe what would be considered a sacral dimple, yet I am still mobile, except for the orthostatic issues that make me feel like fainting. I was wondering if tethered cord could be related to the bladder issue? Anyone know? Thanks so much in advance! I am not too sure how a doctor would take my directive of wanting to know if I have TC, but, it might explain alot of my head-neuro type symptoms also.

Who ordered the MRI? Have you been seen by a neurologist for an interpretation of the findings in the MRI, a medical work up, and treatment plan.

The "surges" you are having" may be autonomic dysreflexia (AD) and may be associated with the need to empty a full bladder. AD can be dangerous because it can cause dangerous spikes in blood pressure.

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks, gnl. The original doctor showed it to me, handed me my original MRI films and guard them! He said that I should wait for better surgical options down the road(years) and to always be in a car with an excellent neck support. I have since been to two other neuros for my lightheadedness, and neither wanted to look at my MRIs. Is that normal?

So, I have no other opinions on the cervical compression.

You probably need a new set of MRIs - if I am reading your post correctly, the MRIs in your possession (ordered by your original doctor) are 6 years old. Depending on what is causing your symptoms, a lot could have changed between then and now - in addition, newer MRI software/machines/techniques are capable of showing a great deal more detail than older versions.

In your shoes, I'd find a new neurologist or neurosurgeon for a second - and possibly even a third - opinion. When you describe your symptoms to the new doctor(s), you might mention that you are concerned about TC - but don't make it sound as if you've self-diagnosed the problem and are only looking for him/her to confirm it (by issuing "a directive," as you call it in your first post); make it clear that you want to get to the bottom of whatever is causing your distress.

Best wishes, and welcome to CC.