Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The crazy world of wheelchair design

The crazy world of wheelchair design

I stumbled across this and thought it was a good collection of recent innovations (good and bad...) in wheelchair design.

http://www.lovethesepics.com/2012/09...sign-concepts/

I'm not sure I like any of them better than my ZRA!

Reminds me of space age movies stuff very interesting .

Interesting. The most ready-for-market concept I noticed was the baby-stroller attachment.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'll pass on the Baby Stroller idea

Some cool stuff I'd like to try, maybe even own. Thanks for the great link.

I want the jet powered deal!!!

I'll take one of everything.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    The stroller design is cool... now if it had a power assist built in as well.

And where is the segway chair?

what I hate about this stuff is for every 1 useful innovative design there's 10 others that are utterly stupid & make me wonder if the designer ever spend a minute navigating/living in a chair. The one that goes over the toilet... do u really want ur day chair to have shit splashes on it as u roll around & what SCI' person actually has no at-home-bowel routine but shits in public? Even for IC'ing its unrealistic. The ones with these big crank handles to propel or stand.. yah, those will never get in the way of daily life... all the designs with fancy fronts or super enclosed designs... a SCI gets in how? Or all the ones that are super long... how would u turn anywhere?

I love innovation & lord knows we need in in this area but geezus... learn a little about SCI life & roll around for a day in a chair before drawing shit up so it actually has potential other than to appear in some scifi movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    what I hate about this stuff is for every 1 useful innovative design there's 10 others that are utterly stupid & make me wonder if the designer ever spend a minute navigating/living in a chair. The one that goes over the toilet... do u really want ur day chair to have shit splashes on it as u roll around & what SCI' person actually has no at-home-bowel routine but shits in public? Even for IC'ing its unrealistic. The ones with these big crank handles to propel or stand.. yah, those will never get in the way of daily life... all the designs with fancy fronts or super enclosed designs... a SCI gets in how? Or all the ones that are super long... how would u turn anywhere?...
    +1
    They also seem to know nothing about pressure sores and seating. I'd like to see some emphasis on transfers and pressure relief/repositioning. How hard can it be to do something like a mini version of the Surehands body support integrated to a chair to provide intermittent pressure relief?

I think the row handles could have some merit if done right. Biggest problem I see in the concepts is they continued to combine rowing action with 26" tires. If you propel with handles you don't need large wheels adding more width and limiting the handle positioning. Make the lever have multiple positions so you could maneuver under tables/desks and transfer in a lowered position and have more leverage for speed/inclines in an upper position.