View Poll Results: Should a sailor be awarded a re-dress for boat equipment failure who did not finish

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • no

11 100.00%
  • yes

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sailors and even non sailboat racers, I need your opinion

I trust you'll write a letter telling them Curt. I'm sure you're not the only one who noticed the screwup. Congrats on the win!

Don't blame you - glad they changed it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I can't think of a sport where equipment failure is treated this way. In baseball a batter may break his bat, but has to accept where the ball goes when he does.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

What they were doing was blaming the volunteers that they did not set up the boats right, but the point I made was it is the skippers responsibility to check out the boat before going out, especially in 20 to 30 knot winds. Just like the baseball batter, you inspect the bat when pick it up. Still does me no good though, they still have me listed as 2nd place, they just took out the part about charter boat rigging issues from the results to cover themselves. What it really makes me realize though is some people don't really care how they win something as long as they win. With me, I have pride and I have to know in my heart that I really won otherwise it is meaningless. It was the woman who asked for the redress because she said her poor boat broke and it was all the volunteers fault, more to blame though is the race committee for granting it to her. It would be one thing if her boat was hit and taken out, but it was not.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Just now reading this, wish I had sooner. You were robbed!
    The condition of the boat as she is taken out is the responsibility of the skipper.

I've not sailed a Martin 16 yet, would like to sometime.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer View Post
    Just now reading this, wish I had sooner. You were robbed!
    The condition of the boat as she is taken out is the responsibility of the skipper.

I've not sailed a Martin 16 yet, would like to sometime.
    Rbrauer -- check out Canada's Mobility Cup -- mostly Martin 16 racing -- I did the last two and it's a fantastic event. I don't own a boat... just register early enough and you can jet-in like a rock star and be led to your boat! Next yr it's in Halifax NS --

Yep, I'm planning on doing the Mobility Cup next year instead of the Lake George race. Thanks for all your input. I notice now the race committee has taken out the reason for the redress off the results on the internet and only lists it as RDG (Redress given) so they know they were in the wrong, but still no apology to me or change of the results, only in the emails what great sailors those woman were.

I was handcycling with a friend this mourning who said he did a race with the same woman who took the first in this race and he tied her for 3rd in another race out in Nevada (a Hobie Cat Race a few years back) he had to leave early before the awards and she took the 3rd place trophy for him, he actually beat her for 3rd according to the tie breaker rules. She kept the trophy and never got it back to him even though he asked her like 3 times over the past few years. Unreal, I guess she just wants to collect all the trophies she can. It really does not mean much though if you gotta win them that way though in my opinion. I never would have thought about filing redress had my boat broken, no less putting it in writing and all right after the race, but it really was the race committees fault for granting it to her.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Sailboat racing and the race committee

I know I'm a little late to the party. Every competive racer has had equipment failures. I was never given redress because of some body elses mistake. In San Diego, My brand new sails and all, second windward leg the head stay failed. It happens to every body.