Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: armrest options

armrest options

I previously had much of this post in a thread about the ZX1 power add-on#310, but thought it might be better to split it out.

I've done a lot of searching and can't really find much information about TiLite armrests on the forum. I know that many with SCI do not use armrests. Unfortunately, I think my husband really needs them, and we are trying to decide what type.

Situation: He has hemiparesis/hemiplegia (weakness/paralysis on one side of the body). He needs an armrest or something similarly strong to transfer using one arm and partially weight bearing on one leg. He also uses them for pressure relief and balancing and they help keep his weak arm in place so it does not fall outside the chair. He also has spasms and sometimes seizures, and the arm rests give him a way to feel safe in the chair and something to grab onto makes him feel better. We would like flip back or swing away arm rests on a ZRA. We have also considered DU100066 for a flip-back armrest with a desk arm pad.

History: We have a another TiLite chair with Removable Height Adjustable Desk Arm with Rigid Side Guards, and they are impossible to remove with one hand/arm. Even as an AB, I have difficulty removing them, as you need to put your fingers between the side guards and the wheel. We currently have 1" wheelspacing, but I think it would need to be 2" to maybe make this possible, and this would make the width of the chair too wide for many places we go. We have also considered the Removable Height Adjustable Desk Arm with Rigid Side Guard and Transfer Loop, but these would have the same limitation of not being able to easily remove with one hand/arm.

Problem: We want to get a power add-on, the ZX1, but it is not usable with armrests. One of the major features of the ZX1 is independence in connecting unassisted, but if assistance is needed for removable armrests, also when the ZX1 is not in use, this will cause problems.

Here are some questions I hope that someone can answer:

- Can flip back or swing away armrests on a ZRA be removed easily (one hand and no tools)? If anyone has pictures or a video removing them, that would be really helpful.

- Is there a possibility for a flip back armrest to be locked vertically

- Can anyone offer suggestions for a chair configuration without armrests that still provides a way to transfer using one arm? For example, would Carbon Fiber Fendered side guards be strong enough for transfers?

- Are there any aftermarket easily removable armrests that could be retroffited to a ZRA?

This is a short video of doing a transfer from a chair to a wheelchair with hemiparesis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq2-I6r4bHM&feature=g-upl

Just in case you are not familiar with the armrest TiLite armrest options here is a picture from the Options brochure:
    Last edited by elarson; 10-03-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

The ZX-1 has it's own armrests E; similar to #1 in your photos.

For armrests, I would suggest either one or two and have the side guards as a seperate option; either the aluminum or carbon fibre. Does he adjust the rests at different heights thruout the day or basically just one setting? I wonder if he has foldup armrests and has a seizure; will his grabbing the armrest foldup by his grabbing and learching backward.

I trust you could secure a loop on the armrests and certainly the sideguards to help him pull them off. Three and four are extremely heavy and even strong paras can have a challenge dealing with them so he shouldn't feel too bad. I had a heck of a problem with them and I'm a high functioning para.

Remember, the lighter the chair and proper setup will really maximize he ability to use it.

The 2" space between the frame and wheels is really way to wide. Not only does it restrict places he can fit in too but also puts added stress on the axle housing causing flex and eventual loosening up of the axle receiver nuts. Easy to fix.

I have the swing away type armrests, they come out pretty easily, if, you grab it back by the bend and pull straight up. If you grab out by the end, which sounds like your husband would need to do, use his good arm to crossover and grab the other side armrest, it would take a lot of wiggling to try and get it free.

Maybe the end that fits in the brackets could be sanded down some to make them a little free-er but they might rattle after that, don't know.

Oh, and no, carbon fiber sideguards are nowhere near strong enough to try and use for transfers. Mine have a bunch of flex, not to mention they are too thin, it would hurt your hand trying to push off the top edge.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

They changed out the crabon fiber design with a small bracket attached to the back of the chair that slides them between the bracket and frame now McDuff. Saw a pair last Monday night. really simple and effective.

Not sure what edge you are referring to push off of.

Thanks everyone. What I am hearing is that 1) and 2) are both removable also. That should be written in their options catalog. I've been stressing over nothing.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Yeah E. Don't stress. You've got we old pros here to throw your ideas off of. We'll all make sure you order a wonderful, efficient, well fitting chair.

Take a deep breath and relax it'll all turn out okay.

After this, I suggest you become a seating consultant for others. Your knowledge has really grown since you first postings. You're throwing the lingo out like a pro now lol.

im not certain numbers 1 and 2 would leave enough clearance for the zx1 - the receivers are attached to the backrest and poke quite far to the rear. they will block the point where the zx1 armrests need to go during attachment. in any case, s/a armrests are very difficult to remove with 1 arm, both sides. you might be better to examine how to remove the ones with the transfer loop, or several manufacturers make armrests with quad removal levers.

Thanks amyk. Oh no, I feel like I am spinning in circles

I think I am hearing from you that even with the actual armrests removed,the bracket will get in the way of the ZX1?

About "s/a armrests" -- what does that mean?

Do you (or anyone else) know other manufacturers armrests with quad removal levers that can be retrofitted to a ZRA? I hate to say it, but his depot chair armrests do the trick with one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    im not certain numbers 1 and 2 would leave enough clearance for the zx1 - the receivers are attached to the backrest and poke quite far to the rear. they will block the point where the zx1 armrests need to go during attachment. in any case, s/a armrests are very difficult to remove with 1 arm, both sides. you might be better to examine how to remove the ones with the transfer loop, or several manufacturers make armrests with quad removal levers.

yes the brackets will probably be in the way... i think quickie has a quad release. a lot of stuff may be interchangeable between brands, even in chairs with different diameters, by using some of your original hardware. for example, im using ordinary kuschall push-to-lock brakes, from a wider diameter chair, on a tilite tr, by using the clamps that i got from tilite with my (useless) composite scissor locks

The Quickie I am sitting had the flip-back adjustable height on. At least the thing I have does not look anything like these. Can be removed with 1 arm. May need consider the weight of it. The padding always wore out very fast and was cracking.