Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should It Take This Long?

true voxina, I looked for a chair they quit making, found one on ebay got it for 200 bucks..helluva chair.....they quit makin it cause ya couldnt tear it up, lol....

Your insuance has ALL the say in what they will pay for. On top of that, they do not play a "cap" game they will pay up to and you pau the remainder 100%. Instead they flat out say no. I woill be amazed if they pay $.01 for a TR3, ZR or ICON. The insurance has rules that if cheaper things will provide what you require to maintin your life, that is what they willpay for. Example, titanium versus aluminum. They wiull not pay for titanium. A suspension chair I seriously doubt they will pay for that. Your requirements are all based on what you need to move around inside your house. Outside does not even count. Sorry to tell you. I simply told wheelchair provider forget the insurance and I will pay for the thing myself. I found what I wanted. Fot it priced on the Internet and basically took the price/spec to local company aned told him if he matches the price I will buy from him. If not I will go elsewhere. Unforfunately this nonsense is just like buying a car.

how about renting a chair for now, so you can at least get around? I think medicare might actually pay for rental. if not, it is not terribly expensive to rent for a short time.
    at least you will have wheelz.

Unfortunately I have Medicare. Do not know if Medicare will/will not pay rental. Medicare hs online chat that you probably could make the question pay for rental.

My recent chair took 5 months start to finish. Demoed power assist in rehab in early April...chair email with DME & OT wasn't until late May (soonest they had for seating clinic). Papers sent to my Dr for signatures same week & insurance approved within 2 weeks. DME got chair mid-August but took 3 weeks to get correct camber tube.

I managed to get my modified van faster than my wheelchair and the state was paying for the van!

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Your insuance has ALL the say in what they will pay for. On top of that, they do not play a "cap" game they will pay up to and you pau the remainder 100%. Instead they flat out say no. I woill be amazed if they pay $.01 for a TR3, ZR or ICON. The insurance has rules that if cheaper things will provide what you require to maintin your life, that is what they willpay for. Example, titanium versus aluminum. They wiull not pay for titanium. A suspension chair I seriously doubt they will pay for that. Your requirements are all based on what you need to move around inside your house. Outside does not even count. Sorry to tell you. I simply told wheelchair provider forget the insurance and I will pay for the thing myself. I found what I wanted. Fot it priced on the Internet and basically took the price/spec to local company aned told him if he matches the price I will buy from him. If not I will go elsewhere. Unforfunately this nonsense is just like buying a car.
    I am not discounting your assessment as I have not even gotten to the point of submitting to insurance but I have never had a problem getting what I need/want from my insurance. I have been told (not sure if true) that the HMO has to pay for the chair that will allow me to maintain the quality of life I am accustomed to, including work. The PT, DME, and Dr. (all contracted by my insurance) feel an ultralight manual chair is a medical necessity and the PT and DME say they have had no problems getting titanium chair through my insurance.

I do have an 80%/20% policy so it might be worth just to buy out of pocket at an online discount and not have to wait.

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    how about renting a chair for now, so you can at least get around? I think medicare might actually pay for rental. if not, it is not terribly expensive to rent for a short time.
    at least you will have wheelz.
    I have private insurance (HMO) and did start looking at getting a rental. All I need for the rental is a doctor's 'script so I am going to make an appointment tomorrow.

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com