Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about "average" markup or discounts

Curious about "average" markup or discounts

I am trying to get a feel for what the "average" markup or discount percent is between TiLite suggested retail prices and brick-n-mortar distributors.

I would be very interested to hear from those of you who have purchased a TiLite chair recently (2012) through a brick-n-mortar distributor what the percent of markup or discount you received relative to TiLite published prices for the basic chair, with no options and not including taxes or shipping.

It's fine if you prefer to send it in a PM to me or give me the price and model and I will figure out the percent.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

VA bought my chair, so I didn't pay, and VA won't tell me exactly what they paid, but an in-the-know VA employee told me VA pays, in general, about half of the MSRP for manual wheelchairs and power assists. The VA uses a contracted DMEs to receive, assemble, and deliver the devices.

VA has minor accessories (e.g., spoke protectors) shipped directly to me instead of the DMEs. The DMEs is always eager to serve me, and gets my signature for everything they do for me, so I presume their service costs are additional.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

End 2010: Tilite rep brought a ZRa2 to our house (along with a couple of other brands). I asked about the cost and he said around $7000 (it did have expensive wheels on it, but not many other extras). As I was paying out-of-pocket, I looked into buying via Sportaid, and got a ZRa2 delivered to our door in Australia for about $2400. Take the wheels out of the equation, and we are looking at a mark-up of more than 100% here.

May 2012: Was offered funding for a new chair. I asked about purchasing an Icon via Sportaid, and when I told the funding agency the cost they said "no problem, we usually need to pay at least $5000 for each (child's) chair, so the Icon is cheaper."

So apart from the obviously ridiculous mark-ups here, the other aspect that irks me is the lack of proactiveness by the children's funding agency here to look into alternative suppliers. If they did, they could buy twice as many chairs, and kids here wouldn't have to wait for 12 months for an overpriced quickie....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

That is shocking Gordy. I have not received a final quote locally, but if I go by posted retail prices they average about 37% more than Sportaid and about 19% more than TiLite order form prices (not including shipping/taxes).The government is paying here too, and it's shocking if they accept these prices. At minimum, governments should state that they are not allowed to sell higher than manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). How hard could that be!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    ...we are looking at a mark-up of more than 100% here.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

You should search for the invoice posted here for the $10,000 TiLite. Iirc, listed each Spinergy wheel @ ~$600. Or, something absurd like that. An image of it is here somewhere...

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I am trying to get a feel for what the "average" markup or discount percent is between TiLite suggested retail prices and brick-n-mortar distributors.

I would be very interested to hear from those of you who have purchased a TiLite chair recently (2012) through a brick-n-mortar distributor what the percent of markup or discount you received relative to TiLite published prices for the basic chair, with no options and not including taxes or shipping.

It's fine if you prefer to send it in a PM to me or give me the price and model and I will figure out the percent.

I just got my new ZRA S2, I will try to upload the invoice for you to see. Bike-on offers significant discounts on the "add ons" if you buy the chair from them. When I was looking at self pay for the frog legs, there was a significant discount.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    You should search for the invoice posted here for the $10,000 TiLite. Iirc, listed each Spinergy wheel @ ~$600. Or, something absurd like that. An image of it is here somewhere...
    Yes, a CareCure classic thread!
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ghlight=tilite

Thanks, I would be very interested. Looking to get a ZRA with frog legs, and they don't show prices.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    I just got my new ZRA S2, I will try to upload the invoice for you to see. Bike-on offers significant discounts on the "add ons" if you buy the chair from them. When I was looking at self pay for the frog legs, there was a significant discount.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks, I would be very interested. Looking to get a ZRA with frog legs, and they don't show prices.
    If you PM me with an email address, I will send the invoice and give more details off line as to how I squeesed my DME for discounts.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Thumbs up cheesecake

Thumbs up cheesecake youre a saint very kind of you helping you are a great humanitarian

I know yrs ago I looked into my Invoices etc and seen my markups etc... it was amazing . my chair / stuff was inflated
    Then this is one of the reasons for defeceit and medical system problems imop humble opinion .

BTW good Morning