Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: (action needed) TiLite trying to stop online suppliers shipping internationally

I'm staying with Tilite for one reason - they make great chairs and I never have to worry about mine. I would pay a lot for that. My TR is the most reliable best designed and best looking thing I own. It just does what it's supposed to, every day. Never lets me down. That is why I am buying my next chair from them, a TR3.

Most of my experiences with the company have been very positive. They've got me as a customer for life as long as they keep making great chairs. Not one thing on my TR gives me trouble. I don't know how they do it, it's certainly in the design which is clever and practical but it's also in the fabrication and I don't think either of those things could be done so well without a good company behind it. That's how I do the math. Everyone has their opinion, this is mine.

Tilite CC member should shed some light on whether what was mentioned here is true or not.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

A suggestion, shop around anywhere you can and let each location know that you are doing this. If you even want, lie to each location that you have prices from other places and you are simply in the process of getting the bet price before buying anything. I am in the process of buying a Tilite. Original price from local dealer was MSRP. I waited a bit, told them I have better price, 30% lower, but would like to buy from "you" if you match the price. If not, I will get elsewhere. They instantly came down to prices on the Internet. Now I am going to buy from local at an Internet price. This is no different than buying a car. Do whatever you can, to get the best price.

I also believe Tilite as well as any other place, deals completely different with people paying out of their own pocket as oppsed to insurance paying. I am 99% sure if you pay out of your own pocket, that results in far less paperwork on the Tilite or any other vendor side. They are happy with that. It reduces their costs.

There is an experienced CC member investigating this. I think it's better to wait for more confirmation on this before making any decisions, but it is good to have our concerns known in this thread.

I don't think this is going to affect those of you where there are no local dealers, i.e., Malaysia. I think this has more to do with distributor agreements where there are local dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    Tilite CC member should shed some light on whether what was mentioned here is true or not.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I know I'm very new to CC and all the politics of purchasing chairs. That being said I was considering purchasing a chair from an online dealer in the states (I'm in Canada) and when I called he regretfully informed me that they are no longer allowed to ship TiLite chairs to Canada. So it appears part of the rumour is correct.

I realize there are ways around this in terms of finding a local dealer (not what I want to do) or having a friend in the states purchase the chair on my behalf, again not something I'm sure I want to do. It sure is frustrating!

Cheers, Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I think the biggest thing is the "ship to" address. I think you could forward to someone in the US, for re-forwarding to you. That way you can purchase on your own online and put everything in your name, paid for by you, with just another shipping address.

You should check with your online supplier to make sure this is possible. They may say that the credit card must be from the US or or electronic transfer from a US bank, but I really don't see how TiLite could control financial transactions also!

I really do think we all need to make an issue of this with TiLite, because forcing people to purchase locally is against every international trade agreement.

-- Ellyn

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa And Ruby View Post
    I know I'm very new to CC and all the politics of purchasing chairs. That being said I was considering purchasing a chair from an online dealer in the states (I'm in Canada) and when I called he regretfully informed me that they are no longer allowed to ship TiLite chairs to Canada. So it appears part of the rumour is correct.

I realize there are ways around this in terms of finding a local dealer (not what I want to do) or having a friend in the states purchase the chair on my behalf, again not something I'm sure I want to do. It sure is frustrating!

Cheers, Melissa
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Yep, TiLite sure is going downhill. They rub me the wrong way with exaggerated replacement part pricing (some 2X+ what they were maybe 5 years ago on simple stuff like armrests). Then there is that niggling thing about poor record keeping on their part where they insist on sending the wrong part out (short vs long armrest) even when you insist on them sending out exactly what you are ordering as you probably have a better idea what is on the chair as you are sitting on it. Gotta do this routine through the middleman now also whereas you could do it via telephone direct years ago.

I probably could use a fresh new TiLite chair as I like mine even with the wear factor it has going on...but I've got a bad taste in my mouth dealing with them for parts making me put off the order as long as possible.

Same here Andy and my last 4 were Tilites. I may try Lasher next time as I also feel they've gone the route of Quickie and Top End; they lost their customer service to please dme's at the expense of the user.

Any news

Is there any news about this from anybody? I tried to take what I thought was the "right" approach, and contact someone in the industry who might have influence.

We are now at the point of ordering, and I really have to question if we should work with TiLite and their distributors if they are not more flexible with pricing and services for international users.