Thread: New ways to reverse paralysis/Three-step paralysis treatment

New ways to reverse paralysis/Three-step paralysis treatment

New ways to reverse paralysis
    10/7/2004 6:25 AM
    By: Ivanhoe Newswire

Each year, more than 11,000 people will become paralyzed in the United States. It happens in a split second, but it changes lives forever.

Researchers are constantly looking for ways to reverse the condition. Now there is a promising discovery that could put them on the fast track.

Neuroscientist Mary Bartlett Bunge has found her passion at the Miami Project to cure paralysis. "These are the most exciting findings that I have seen in my laboratory in
    http://rdu.news14.com/content/headli...=56459&SecID=2

[This message was edited by Max on 10-09-04 at 03:16 PM.]

Three-step paralysis treatment

Three-step paralysis treatment
    10/9/2004 12:00 PM
    By: Ivanhoe Broadcast News

Paralysis results from an injury or disease that damages the nervous system, affecting the ability to move or feel. Each year, more than 11,000 people in the United States become paralyzed. Paralysis is traditionally irreversible, but new research could help change that.

Neuroscientist Mary Bartlett Bunge is working at the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis at the University of Miami. She has helped develop a "triple play," combining three treatments believed to help paralysis when used individually.

Researchers tested this treatment on paralyzed rats and restored their walking ability to up to 70 percent normal function. The animals demonstrated better coordination, foot placement, and stability.

Step One: Rolipram. The antidepressant Rolipram is injected under the skin at the time of injury, where it travels through the bloodstream. This helps maintain levels of the cell messenger molecule called cyclic AMP. These levels would otherwise drop at the time of injury. Studies have shown Rolipram is safe for
    http://www.news8austin.com/content/h...121605&SecID=2

Triple Play for Paralysis

Triple Play for Paralysis

Ivanhoe Broadcast News

MIAMI, Fla. (Ivanhoe Broadcast News) -- Each year, more than 11,000 people will become paralyzed in the United States. It happens in a split second, but it changes lives forever. Researchers are constantly looking for ways to reverse the condition, and a promising discovery could put them on the fast track.

Neuroscientist Mary Bartlett Bunge, Ph.D., has found her passion at the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis in Florida. A recent discovery may have put her on the map. "These are the most exciting findings that I have seen in my laboratory in my 15 years on the Miami Project," she tells Ivanhoe.

http://www.healthcentral.com/news/Ne...cfm?id=8009673