Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How important is tire pressure really?

I have the schwalbe marathons and schwalbe tubes, I keep them inflated to 150psi and check them every other week and they're usually down to 110-120. I do a lot of miles on them and like having the least possible resistance. I also go up/down a lot of big curbs so keeping the pressure high prevents the tube getting pinched.

I've got Schrader valves at the moment but will change to presta with the next set of tubes. I find getting a decent seal while inflating at high pressures can be tricky.

It all depends on your preference, see what you like.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

I think tire pressure makes a huge difference in rolling resistance but I also don't like superhard tires because of bumps. I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, Schwalbe high-pressure innertubes and Schwalbe high-pressure rim tape. I keep my tires 135-140psi.

I would very much LIKE to keep my tires at the recommended pressure, but for some reason whenever I put my RightRuns or my Marathons to 120 psi the tubes blow within a day. I'm really getting sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaiale View Post
    I would very much LIKE to keep my tires at the recommended pressure, but for some reason whenever I put my RightRuns or my Marathons to 120 psi the tubes blow within a day. I'm really getting sick of it.
    The problem is either one of technique or some defect/damage to your wheel.

• Do you have high pressure rim tape applied to the inside of your rims?
    • Have you inspected the rim walls for the presence of any burrs? (You should inspect the blown inner tube to see where the puncture is occurring; this may help lead you to the location of the problem if there's something sharp digging into your tube.)
    • What size tires are you using? Are you sure you're using the corresponding sized inner tubes?
    • Technique: who has been putting on your tubes/tires? The tube may be getting pinched during installation.

I think the tubes are being pinched against the rim during installation. Innertubes can take a great deal of pressure. I had the same problem you are mentioning. I got better at installing my innertubes (learned how) and never got another blow-out. There is also a small possibility that you have some burrs or sharp points inside your rims but I doubt that's the problem. Just to let you know I went through $40 in innertubes in one day because I pinched everyone on the install. Argh.

No burrs in either set of tires, good rim tape installed, double checked the tube size to make sure they're 25-540 like my Schwalbes. Installation done at a bike shop, so the tubes shouldn't be pinched. Definitely need to learn to do it myself, though, it's just embarassing to keep coming in with flats like this. Haven't checked the tubes yet to see what happened THIS TIME, should do that tonight.

No burrs in either set of tires, good rim tape installed, double checked the tube size to make sure they're 25-540 like my Schwalbes. Installation done at a bike shop, so the tubes shouldn't be pinched. Definitely need to learn to do it myself, though, it's just embarassing to keep coming in with flats like this. Haven't checked the tubes yet to see what happened THIS TIME, should do that tonight.
    The burrs would be in the wheel rims, not the tires.

That makes more sense to me, but still, when I kept getting mysterious flats we checked all the components at the bike shop. The installed rim strips were too small, so we put in rim tape that was better quality and the right size. Now it's less frequent, but the second I pump my tires again...POP! I'm almost afraid to Pump the set I ride now, but they're rolling pretty low now, maybe 60-80, so it's gotta be done. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    I have Schwalbe right runs on a set of Spinergy LX, and Kenda Kontender's on my Topolino wheels. I use presta valve Continental inner tubes on both.
    I`ve got that tubes too, keep air really good.

Eh.
    I have crappy Primo tires, whatever tubes are cheapest, and generic rim strips.
    I haven't had a flat in years and only need to put air in once every 3-4 weeks, which is just fine. I need new tires once a year, if that.
    I'm sure life would be a tiny bit better if I shelled out more money, but I don't think it's worth it.

And yes, as everyone else has said, there's a HUGE difference between 50psi and 110psi.

the second I pump my tires again...POP! I'm almost afraid to Pump the set I ride now, but they're rolling pretty low now, maybe 60-80
    Draw a line at the stem on your tire, tube, and wheel rim with chalk or a colored magic marker. Then when the tube pops you can take the tube out, line everything up, and see exactly where it failed and inspect the tire and rim at that exact point.