Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How important is tire pressure really?

How important is tire pressure really?

I now have pneumatic tires with actualtubes inside themwhere previously I had theh airlesws inserts. I was told that the tubes are quite abit lighter than the inserts which was my primary motivation for changing. When I first pickedup my chairfrom the DMEthe tires were flat and soIhad themair them up before I left, but I do notthinkthey took themall the way up to their rated pressure of 110psi. I checked them the other day andthey were only around 50psi. At that time I tried to pump them up using a bicycle hand pump that I had laying aroundmy garage,but with that the best I could achieve was around 80 psi. I guess that I could use my air compressor and a regulator to fill them up to the recommended 110psi, but amwondering just how muchof adifference it would make relative to how much easier it will probably pop if it meets a sharpobject. How many ofyou actually inflate your tires to the recommended sidewall pressure of 110 psi. How many do not? Why or why not?

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    I now have pneumatic tires with actualtubes inside themwhere previously I had theh airlesws inserts. I was told that the tubes are quite abit lighter than the inserts which was my primary motivation for changing. When I first pickedup my chairfrom the DMEthe tires were flat and soIhad themair them up before I left, but I do notthinkthey took themall the way up to their rated pressure of 110psi. I checked them the other day andthey were only around 50psi. At that time I tried to pump them up using a bicycle hand pump that I had laying aroundmy garage,but with that the best I could achieve was around 80 psi. I guess that I could use my air compressor and a regulator to fill them up to the recommended 110psi, but amwondering just how muchof adifference it would make relative to how much easier it will probably pop if it meets a sharpobject. How many ofyou actually inflate your tires to the recommended sidewall pressure of 110 psi. How many do not? Why or why not?
    The pressure tire is very important to keep them correct, the tires will last longer and will have less rolling resistence.

So buy a compressor and inflate them for example 3 times per month.
    I fill mines up to 120psi.
    Having a compressor makes things easier.

Cheng Shin crappy tires here and I keep them at their maximum ... less resistance while pushing.

I've found hot/cold heat/aircon affects this as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    The pressure tire is very important to keep them correct, the tires will last longer and will have less rolling resistence.
    I agree. I use a good floor pump (I can stand) once a week to keep mine topped off at max recommended pressure.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

It's not the quality of the tire that affects how quickly they'll lose pressure - it's the quality of the inner tube - I invest in high end tubes, which does two things, keeps the air a bit better/longer, and reduces the incidence of pinch flats.

I would also get good tires - it's a weird thing, that when you pay twice as much for good tires, they seem to last much more than twice as long - over time, it can be less expensive to get the pricier tires.

I push around a lot (4-5 miles a day usually), and I get 9 months or more out of my Schwalbe tires.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    It's not the quality of the tire that affects how quickly they'll lose pressure - it's the quality of the inner tube - I invest in high end tubes, which does two things, keeps the air a bit better/longer, and reduces the incidence of pinch flats.

I would also get good tires - it's a weird thing, that when you pay twice as much for good tires, they seem to last much more than twice as long - over time, it can be less expensive to get the pricier tires.

I push around a lot (4-5 miles a day usually), and I get 9 months or more out of my Schwalbe tires.
    Which Schwalbe tires are you running? Which inner tubes, Schwalbes as well?

Pump your tires up to, or close to, the max 110 and tell us you do not notice a huge difference. Also, running them under inflated can cause premature wear.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I typically do not inflate them to max. At the cost of reduced rolling resistance I like that they are better over bumps and I can stay in place better (don't have to put brakes on to do one simple thing before the chair rolls backwards). Find what works best for you and your lifestyle.
    Last edited by SoulScream; 09-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Andrew

http://www.schwalbetires.com/ The pressure is EXTREMELY important. There is good and bad with high and low pressure. High correct pressure will provide a more stable ride, both horizontally and vertically but a bit less smoother ride. Low pressure will give you a smoother ride allowing the tire/tube configuration to absorb bounces. You do run a higher risk of instability the farther away you run the tire from the printed amount on the siewall. You need to determine what you are looking for. That Schwalbe link has a lot of wheelchair tires you can actually look at and get ideas about.

I have Schwalbe right runs on a set of Spinergy LX, and Kenda Kontender's on my Topolino wheels. I use presta valve Continental inner tubes on both.