Thread: scams

scams

My Dad got a phone call yesterday from someone who claimed they were from Microsoft, and they were calling customers they were concerned had viruses infecting their computers. He had an Indian accent. He started throwing out ID numbers, computer ID numbers (?!?) and pushed my father to go to his computer and start running some programs.

To make a long story short, this guy was clearly trying to access my Dad's computer from afar, and it was worrying to me that my father actually was following his directions until I stepped in....

The same guy called back again later, urging us to follow his instructions, telling us our computer was in danger.

We put the phone number of the guy who called into Google, and saw many people reporting this scam.

You guys are all fairly savvy, but for those of you with older/vulnerable family members, let them know to watch out for this one.

I agree with letting vulnerable family members know. This scam from India has been running in Australia for approximately 2 years and I have received at least 5 phone calls. On a couple of occasions I told them I didn't have a computer and then they abruptly end the call. On other occasions I have deliberately picked a fight with them about their practices and of course they hang up. They are well aware of what they are doing and probably getting paid a pittance but no doubt a lot of money from where they come. I guess they are desperate to escape their poverty and survival is a basic human trait. Not that I condone their actions but I can understand it.

Everyone Be super careful of the IC3 threat

Also lot's of phishing going on

One of the popular ones that is still around is the fake anti virus, or fake virus notification.

Suddenly you get a pop up ''' Mico Soft Anti Virus 2012 has detected a virus! 26 viruses found, click here to remove .." or something similar.
    The web page is designed that no matter what you try to click.. ok, no, close, or the x to close the window, it gives the command that you say it's okay to install.

Either shut your computer off, or open task manager and close the browser without touching the browser. Never click on anything in the pop up window..
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer View Post
    One of the popular ones that is still around is the fake anti virus, or fake virus notification.

Suddenly you get a pop up ''' Mico Soft Anti Virus 2012 has detected a virus! 26 viruses found, click here to remove .." or something similar.
    The web page is designed that no matter what you try to click.. ok, no, close, or the x to close the window, it gives the command that you say it's okay to install.

Either shut your computer off, or open task manager and close the browser without touching the browser. Never click on anything in the pop up window..

Wow - what a useful warning. Thanks for this. I would have tried to close the window of course.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I have gotten those calls from the guy with an Indian accent wanting to access my computer because of a virus it was supposed to have. And the guy knew my email address.

I cuss him out and hang up but he calls back eventually and I cuss him out again.

You can tell it's a scam; when you have a problem, how easy is it to get to an actual service tech; you always have to go through a million menus and wait 15 or more minutes. I assume if a service tech is calling me, unsolicited, it must be a scam.

Whatever happened to the "do not call list"? It definitely must not be working anymore.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

My mother also received one of these phone calls. Fortunately she hung up because she couldn't understand why they were calling. She checked with me afterwards to make sure it wasn't anything important and I told her it was a scam.

They are getting sneaky!
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

I would play the guy. Listen to him but act stupid. I love playing that game. My mom recently did it with someone claiming she won X amount of money but he would need her checking account number first. It was something like that. You know the old gimme 500 bucks first for your 10k prize money.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    They now not longer need to exploit human wet strings. You can go to a JavaScript site and the have your credentials harvested by a TLS downgrade MITM attack.

To call on the phone costs a few cents even in Asia.

Sending a phish email via the bot net or modifying a popular site via SQL injection makes the cost per attack a miniscule fraction of a cent. I am now seeing our users details being exploited this way. Turn Java _and_ JavaScript off. Turn Flash off. Turn Adobe reader off. Don't open DOCX attachments or links is the latest. These are all exploited automatically in the wild.