Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing frame - How long do you stand?

Quote Originally Posted by ffindley View Post
    Many years ago, my Dr tol me that I would need to stand for 2 to 3 hrs to get real benefeit and since I have retired I do 3 a day. Work on computer, watch TV, read etc. Time passes real quickly. Good luck!
    I won't have 3 hours a day to devote to standing and if I did I think I would get either restless, bored or both, so a tip of my hat to you for your dedication and perseverance. Do you break up the 3 hours or do you do one continuous session?

I was under the impression standing for bone density was not effective unless standing on a vibrating plate. Iirc, there was a link around here to a study about this. I like standing for the stretching, personally, but haven't done it in a while. I started to fidget and get uncomfortable (painful!) after ~15-20 minutes. Sensory sparring isn't always a blessing!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

I received this email last night from my SCI doc:
    Standing is one of the few ways I know of that can potentially improve bone density therefore I would encourage it. I wouldn't worry too much about your degree of osteoporosis as it is expected to be low and there are no guidelines as to how low is too low to stand. The one modifiable risk factor you have is vitamin D deficiency (11 back in July), which if not done already, needs body store replacement with high doses. Not being vit D deficient is the best thing you can do in order to help prevent future fractures.
    I've been taking 4,000IUs of Vit. D2 for some time but apparently it's not nearly enough. Unfortunately, getting more sunlight exposure is not a realistic option for me. I am going to explore the option of taking prescription Vit. D.
    I take 50,000IUs a mnth. Need to get my levels checked again as it's been over a year. Rx vit D did bring my levels way up, like a 40 pt difference.

Weird that some physiatrists still claim that standing improves bone density. I had to correct my doctor on that one. She stated FES wouldn't do as much as standing . The opposite is true as we know (standing does nothing for bones, FES has been found to increase bone density though). She probably thinks I'm a know it all.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I take 50,000IUs a mnth. Need to get my levels checked again as it's been over a year. Rx vit D did bring my levels way up, like a 40 pt difference.

Weird that some physiatrists still claim that standing improves bone density. I had to correct my doctor on that one. She stated FES wouldn't do as much as standing . The opposite is true as we know (standing does nothing for bones, FES has been found to increase bone density though). She probably thinks I'm a know it all.
    Nov, break down how you take the 50,000 IUs. Daily? Weekly? Are you taking supplements or the Rx version?

I, too, was surprised to hear my SCI doc mention bone density improvement from passive standing. That's not my reason for starting a standing regimen, though. I'm doing it for the stretch, pressure relief, and the novelty. Also, I think there's some psychological benefit to my young son seeing me standing even if it's sandwiched between pieces of foam. And at 5' 9" I'm the tallest in my (short) family, and it's good to not let them forget that.

I just took delivery of a used EasyStand Evolv. I tried out a stander at PT gym a few years ago (all went well) but other than that I have not done any standing in, let's see, 29 years.

I would be interested to learn from the regulars what their standing frame regimen is. How many days/week? How many minutes/session?

Thanks.
    depends. i stand everyday basically sometime 15 min sometimes an hour. 24 yrs standing.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Nov, break down how you take the 50,000 IUs. Daily? Weekly? Are you taking supplements or the Rx version?

I, too, was surprised to hear my SCI doc mention bone density improvement from passive standing. That's not my reason for starting a standing regimen, though. I'm doing it for the stretch, pressure relief, and the novelty. Also, I think there's some psychological benefit to my young son seeing me standing even if it's sandwiched between pieces of foam. And at 5' 9" I'm the tallest in my (short) family, and it's good to not let them forget that.
    I started balling my eyes out the first time I stood up around my kids. They did too. I couldn't believe how tiny they were! I have an Ovation strap stand, and love getting standing hugs from my wife and kids. Very cool.

Have fun!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

It is Rx vitamin d and I just take one soft gel in 50,000ius a month. They come in smaller amounts by Rx as well. I've taken 5,000/week Rx before.

I agree, standing is good for many things just not bones. I've tried to explain the research to sci friends, but give up. They still comment about standing to keep bones strong.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I wear calipers and then stand with a walker , and i have help , as my balance is not good, is that better than a standing frame , i also some times walk with calipers.i do about 90 minutes a day in 2 sessions.

SCI Nurse ?

if you havent been "upright" in a few years, your gonna want someone next to you, and watch your face..blood pressure could be an issue causing you to pass out...luckily i never had that issue at the beginning,but ive seen it happen ...id say start small and build...just see how you feel just from going up...like anything, do x amount for a few days, then add, etc..dont concentrate on the "hour" that everyone is doing for now..
    - Rolling Thru Life -