Thread: Please help! Increased Pain and Spasms After UTI, UTI gone but not pain and spasms

Angry Please help! Increased Pain and Spasms After UTI, UTI gone but not pain and spasms

I had a bladder infection first diagnosed about 4.5 weeks ago. When this first came on, I had a marked increase in body spasms (legs and abdomen), and and increase in my Neuro pain. A culture was done and the bacteria was sensitive to Macrobid, so I was given a 10-day course of Macrobid. I still didn't feel right so I tested again and still had an infection. This time the culture showed the bacteria was sensitive to Cipro, so I was given a 10-day course of Cipro. As far as I can tell, the UTI is gone.. Urine looks fine, and the dip test for nitrites and leukocytes comes out negative.

however, I'm still experiencing increased spasms (waking me up at night which never happens) and an increase in my Neuro pain..Burning as well as an aching feeling in my legs and thighs, which has never happened before.

What could be wrong? I feel otherwise fine. I am taking a whole-food multivitamin and high quality food based probiotic daily.

I really have no idea what's going on, but have you read the side effe tx of cipro? It's a heavy duty med with side effects that cause some folks real problems, especially with their tendons.

X2 on cipro might be the contributor believe it takes a couple weeks to leave your system that stuff is great at killing resistant bugs but my nervous system went haywire sore joints & spasms, mine eventually subsided but I felt like I was in a fist fight.

It is not unusual to have increase in neuro pain such as shocks, burning, spasms WITH a UTI. I rationalize that it is a good thing because it helps with early recognition.

In my case it gets better with treatment of the UTI. In your case, it is persisting. Perhaps the UTI is still there despite the dipstick findings.

Would suggest telling the treating physician of symptoms and wondering if another urine culture and sensitivity while off antibiotics for 48 hours would be prudent?

Have you had recent tests for stones? Prostatitis? Both can cause lingering UTI in spite of usual UTI antibiotic courses, even if based on sensitivity. What does your urologist say?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you had recent tests for stones? Prostatitis? Both can cause lingering UTI in spite of usual UTI antibiotic courses, even if based on sensitivity. What does your urologist say?

(KLD)
    I have not had a test for stones. I'm only a recent injury (5 months now) and I've had this UTI for a little over a month. The first UTI I had in the hospital inpatient was cured by Bactrim in a couple days.

The only thing different now is that I am/was taking Lithium for neuro pain. I read that Lithium can cause urine retention and bladder infection?

One thing I would mention is that in the AM, I do my cath in bed. Sometimes it goes more slowly and I stop it before it's done I think.. I would only get 2-300mL. But when I would get up and cath to the toilet a few hours later, the output would be quite a bit. Other times, the 500mL bag would fill and I would stop it.. I think I was leaving residual urine? I got a 1000mL leg bag now that I use and the other morning I got 900mL.

I know that is too much.. I think it is from the fluid in my foot/ankle. I tend to cut off fluids after 7pm.

So now I'm doing my IC after 6 hours instead of 8, and every 4 during the day right now while I'm pushing fluids.

I've started taking cranberry extract, D-Mannose, herbal extracts UTI supplment (Native Remedies UTI-Clear), and pushing about 64 oz of water per day. I really don't want another antibiotic.

I have a urologist appt but not til Friday.

To update, xray showed kidney stones so had those blasted with lithotripsy and felt better spasticity wise.

Current ideas on CIC is to cath every 4 hours. And never stop until you're bladder is fully drained. Leaving residual pee in there after inserting a 'clean' catheter is asking for problems.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Current ideas on CIC is to cath every 4 hours. And never stop until you're bladder is fully drained. Leaving residual pee in there after inserting a 'clean' catheter is asking for problems.
    What about at night? At rehab, I was told that if you limit fluids in the evening, you could go 8 hours.

As much as it's a pain in the butt, I need to switch to every 4 hours, my outputs are too high. I read that your outputs shouldn't be above around 400mL consistently or you need to cath more often?

I'm using Vetericyn VF now for bladder instillations. Hoping for the best. Also having video urodynamics done in April and seeing a urologist who "really" specializes in SCI since my other urologist told me in not so many words I needed to find another one. Shepherd Center has 3 urologists now for outpatient purposes.

I also started seeing a Physiatrist at Shepherd that I really like. Dr. Beninga.