Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Legendary crooner Andy Williams has died

  1. #1

    Legendary crooner Andy Williams has died

    OMG, just heartbreaking, I don't cry much but this is bringing on the tears, when I hear "Moonriver" I always get a lump in my throat, it makes me think of my Mom and Dad, so young, so alive, so beautiful and in the prime of their lives and me a wee little girl. My dad is long passed and my Mom in the early stages of dementia but she will remember Andy and cry too. Can someone post Andy singing Moonriver for me?


    "Sad news to report from the music world: Legendary singer Andy Williams died Tuesday night.

    His rep tells Lifeline Live that Williams passed away after a year-long battle with bladder cancer. He was 84.

    Williams, who was one of the most popular vocalists of the 1960s as well as an avid golfer, died at home in Branson, Mo.,where he owns the Moon River Theatre. Moon River -- by Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini -- was Williams' signature song. "

  2. #2

    My favorite is

    RIP AW

  3. #3
    I don't know how to post them either, but I feel ya, this is another link to the good days-Gone. My parents listened to him too. Back before adultery and divorce there was my parents swaying along to Andy.

    There is a Sex and the City ep where Mr. Big has packed up his belongings, he's moving to CA. He puts the Moon River album on, pulls Carrie up to dance. She says "Just how old are you?" He says "Not old. Classic." And begins to speak of his parents young, in love, dancing to Moon River. He says "They had the moves." It's so bittersweet. If you can find it, you should watch it today, Pam. You'll flashback to your childhood, just as I did. Here's a link to that scene, at least. So poignant.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAGlh1GGlY


    That ep will always make me cry. I wonder how universal a memory this is for we kids of the 60's?

    RIP, our Huckleberry Friend. You're forever linked to the good days for a number of us. The memory remains. And a good thing is never ever truly lost.
    Last edited by betheny; 09-26-2012 at 12:55 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess "Leia" View Post
    OMG, just heartbreaking, I don't cry much but this is bringing on the tears, when I hear "Moonriver" I always get a lump in my throat, it makes me think of my Mom and Dad, so young, so alive, so beautiful and in the prime of their lives and me a wee little girl. My dad is long passed and my Mom in the early stages of dementia but she will remember Andy and cry too. Can someone post Andy singing Moonriver for me?


    "Sad news to report from the music world: Legendary singer Andy Williams died Tuesday night.

    His rep tells Lifeline Live that Williams passed away after a year-long battle with bladder cancer. He was 84.

    Williams, who was one of the most popular vocalists of the 1960s as well as an avid golfer, died at home in Branson, Mo.,where he owns the Moon River Theatre. Moon River -- by Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini -- was Williams' signature song. "

  5. #5
    If you went to a high school prom in the mid 60's you will always remember with whom you danced when Moon River was played. In my case, 46 years ago, I danced with NL at her senior prom.

    RIP Andy Williams

    All the best,
    GJ

  6. #6
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    Andy Williams gained immortality with his version of the theme song from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Audrey Hepburn articulated the feelings of alienation and loss that a generation couldn't explain.

    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  7. #7
    would love his christmas specials when we were kids, RIP, one of the good guys, my how times have changed.......when morals was a good thing to have.........

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I don't know how to post them either, but I feel ya, this is another link to the good days-Gone. My parents listened to him too. Back before adultery and divorce there was my parents swaying along to Andy.

    There is a Sex and the City ep where Mr. Big has packed up his belongings, he's moving to CA. He puts the Moon River album on, pulls Carrie up to dance. She says "Just how old are you?" He says "Not old. Classic." And begins to speak of his parents young, in love, dancing to Moon River. He says "They had the moves." It's so bittersweet. If you can find it, you should watch it today, Pam. You'll flashback to your childhood, just as I did. Here's a link to that scene, at least. So poignant.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAGlh1GGlY


    That ep will always make me cry. I wonder how universal a memory this is for we kids of the 60's?

    RIP, our Huckleberry Friend. You're forever linked to the good days for a number of us. The memory remains. And a good thing is never ever truly lost.
    Betheny, I have seen that episode many times, I cry like a girlie baby too, even though they were turbulent times for many reasons, we were lucky to be young then and grow up during the 60's ,imo they were the bestest ever. I watch Sex and the City rerips all the time, it is like an addiction for me. You are right, goodbye to our Huckleberry friend.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Thx, still crying....remember Love Story? he sung it too.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Andy Williams gained immortality with his version of the theme song from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Audrey Hepburn articulated the feelings of alienation and loss that a generation couldn't explain.

    FO, her cover of it in the movie also pulls on the heart strings.

Similar Threads

  1. RIP Andy Griffith!
    By SCI-Nurse in forum Life
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 03:20 AM
  2. Andy ...here's to ya, birthday boy!
    By chick in forum Life
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 02:37 PM
  3. Banana Bread that makes you legendary
    By Camille in forum Food
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 01:54 PM
  4. Andy Barker
    By Curt Leatherbee in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2002, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •